Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't sleep with the mask!
RE: Can't sleep with the mask!
Yes i do have the ramp  setting. But i don't  use it. My lower pressure is set to 10
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't sleep with the mask!
Hi Navi

I would suggest you are still in the early discovery days of your therapy.

Hang on in there as it REALLY does get better. I was given a full face mask from the hospital with a CPAP machine. I suffered far too long with the FFM as I did not want to give up having waited so long to get diagnosed. Now that I am able to read from the SD card at will, I am realising that I was waking up too often with the blasts of air and the many leaks with the FFM.

Through reading many posts and threads on this forum, I bought my own nasal pillows with a fitting at Resmed offices here in London. As I suspected I must have been sleeping with my mouth open for many years to supplement oxygen due to apneas I bought a soft cervical collar to keep my chin up. Before using the collar, I could feel my chin dropping to my chest as I fell asleep. By all learned accounts this served to close my airways more.

Sleep rider, QAL and many others here helped me fine tune my needs and I have not looked back. Last night I slept for a stretch of 9 hours initially and a further 2 hours later. The My Air summary was 100% for the first time!!! Of course I did have some events but at about 1.4/hour but that is acceptable, I am told.

Home titration occurred for a further 2 weeks before I started on with my own machine on 12th April . About a month later I changed to pillows with a lowering of max pressure from 16.8 to 14, and an increase of min pressure from 4 to 8, turning ramp off. I would say my journey to enlightenment took about 7 weeks but yours may be sooner with the help of the good advisors here.

Good luck, Navi. Relief will come.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Help keeping mask on/less fragmented sleep jblack33 8 265 04-05-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 222 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,251 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 252 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 909 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 671 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  New mask, thoughts on my sleep data? SleepyMcDonald 1 416 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.