Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't sleep with the mask!
Can't sleep with the mask!
Hi Guys!

So i recently got my Resmed autoset 10 with the N20 mask. I thought that when i'll wear it for the first night that all my lifes woes will go away. Its been 3 nights and i take off the mask within 1 hour. I find that when I sleep, I do shallower breaths and long pauses, and when that happens, the pressure ramps up and blasts air at me that wakes me up, or when my  mouth accidentally opens when i sleep and that causes a blast of air and wakes me up. I haven't had a full night with the mask on so I can't even really post my results up here

My sleep physician can't help me as I did a sleep study test 7 weeks ago now and they still havent gotten back to me with my report. 

I like sleeping with the mask, but that blast of air is so annoying. The pressure has been on 4.0 as well. 

Should I switch to Pillows or will it get easier??

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't sleep with the mask!
4.0 is likely too low a pressure.

Please download SleepyHead software, and post your data.  Pay attention to organization, some charts are more important than others. How to is in my signature.

With this we can see exactly what your settings are and how your body is responding.  From that we can give you good advice.

I suspect your settings are for a range of 4-20 cmH2O, seems to be pretty standard for an initial setup.  The only change I would suggest is to increase the Min pressure to 6cmH2O.
see this post to get the    manual for your machine CPAP-Clinician-Setup-Manuals-Change-your-own-CPAP-Pressure

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I had leakage issues with the N20, but my wife likes it.
In a nasal mask, I had better luck with the Respironics Wisp.

One thing to check, and my wife discovered this in the manual that came with the N20 (ya, who reads those?) that apparently the machine should be set to "Pillows" when using the N20, rather than "Nasal"
She's been using it for a week and hasn't had any leakage issues.

Personally, I go back and forth between the P10 pillows and Wisp.   I prefer the pillows, but they tend to irritate my nostrils (feels like a pimple just inside).

On the "pressure", the machine will attempt to maintain a specific pressure (4.0 is extremely low, I can't breath normally at 4.0), so when you get a leak or your mouth opens, the machine will blow more air in an attempt to regain pressure.  What is likely happening is the machine is ramping up to 15+ as it senses an apnea event, which is causing you to open your mouth.

There are a number of ways to deal with mouth leaks including chin straps (my preference, but generally disfavored on the forum), and cervical collars (apparently preferred).
Worst case, if you can not train yourself to keep your mouth closed, you may be forced to go to a full-face mask.

IMHO, I would buy a full-face from one of the DME's in the forum list, just to have one as a backup for when you have a cold and breathing through your nose is impossible.
Some people end up preferring the full face, but like a pair of shoes or office chair, it can be a process (and not cheap) to find one that works best for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Navi,
I agree with those who say that a minimim pressure of 4 is too low. Most people who start out with a mimimum pressure of 4 raise it, because it makes them feel air starved.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You sound like me when I started. I had a hard time adjusting. It took me ages to learn to keep my mouth closed, I would wake up with my throat and mouth so dry it felt like it was going to crack and bleed. I didn't really sleep at all without it so I kept trying and after a few months, I took comfort in putting on my mask at night. This board wasn't around then as a support network. It will get better, keep posting, reading, and trying.

Best of luck,

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Put your mask on and run your xPAP while you are watching TV, reading a book while you are awake.  This will help your body get used to the mask, pressure etc.
You still will need to increase your min pressure, and please download your data, it will help a lot.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can use pillows for an interface, that is preferable to a full-face. As others have suggested, download #Sleepyhead, and we can take a look. The objective is to put your pressure where you need it, so it is neither too low nor too high. Most people that complain of a "blast of air" have a serious mask leak. Another possibility is that you have sleep onset central apneas, and you are feeling the forced oscillation technique (FOT) pulses that are used by the machine to determine a central or obstructive apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2017, 08:22 PM)Navi Wrote: I thought that when i'll wear it for the first night that all my lifes woes will go away.

... the pressure ramps up and blasts air at me that wakes me up, or when my  mouth accidentally opens when i sleep and that causes a blast of air and wakes me up. I haven't had a full night with the mask on so I can't even really post my results up here

The pressure has been on 4.0 as well. 

Should I switch to Pillows or will it get easier??

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hi, Ivan. You sound similar to me. My expectations had been built up, and I expected to wake up the very first morning feeling totally rejuvenated. Didn't happen. That's ok. I'm about 6 weeks in to this thing, and already I am showing real improvements.

I had a similar dilemma to you. I'd fall asleep easily with the mask on, and then wake up for one reason or another, and then have to take the mask off to fall back asleep again. As I persisted, this problem seemed to fix itself - it was just a matter of getting "used to it" - it was all psychological for me - and it only took a few nights (a week, give or take) to get over that hump. I wish you the same luck.

You say the pressure "ramps up;" I found that turning off the ramp really helps. Pressure of 4.0 - that's impractically low *even* for just lying there trying to fall asleep. In your profile, you mention you don't know your pressure - it's easy to find out. Go here to get a copy of your machine's Clinician's Manual, and you can go in and see what it's set to (you should also try and get a copy of the Rx from your doctor - it should be on there as well).

It'll get better - keep at it! Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I too had problems wearing it. But i found out tje more i wore the better . So i will sit watching tv and doing paper work with it on. That seened to help alot. I too found the pressure of 4 to low 6 seemed to do good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at dreamwear and you can try either pillows or cushions with that one.
Definitely try to wear while watching tv or something similar to get used to.

Do you have a ramp time set so you can get fast asleep before the pressure comes on?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,084 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 865 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 621 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  New mask, thoughts on my sleep data? SleepyMcDonald 1 404 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,363 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.