Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't use CPAP unless my hair is in a ponytail UGHHH
Gross 
Can't use CPAP unless my hair is in a ponytail UGHHH
My only rant for the moment.... I have extremely curly hair, and it's fairly short. I tried using my CPAP without my hair in a ponytail, but it's not possible. The mask won't stay put, at all. And then I have to struggle to get the ponytail in the right place for comfort LOL. Anyone else have hair that dictates how you sleep???

~Helen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't use CPAP unless my hair is in a ponytail UGHHH
Well, I have a beard that causes problems with FFM, does that count Smile
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings,

Well, no, my hair does not dictate my position or how I sleep - but my hair is not all that thick nor is it curly.

Would any other hair restraint work? Such as: pigtails, hair clippies, head band, barrettes, etc.?

Best regards,

Evpraxia
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
When my hair gets long the back strap on my Swift FX Nasal Pillow will sometimes slip up my head. I'm waiting for my P10 to arrive so see how that works. Will have to wait until my hair grows a bit more.

This is not a whinge as at 66 I'm glad to have hair.Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
My hair is about 24 inches long and it doesn't affect my F10 (used during sleep study - I am STILL waiting on my machine from Aprea - grrr) but my beard does cause leaks sadly I expect once I get my machine I will have to shave - sigh...
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2016, 04:46 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: My hair is about 24 inches long and it doesn't affect my F10 (used during sleep study - I am STILL waiting on my machine from Aprea - grrr) but my beard does cause leaks sadly I expect once I get my machine I will have to shave - sigh...

Don't shave... may I suggest the Respironics DreamWear??? Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2016, 04:56 PM)kyhmm72 Wrote:
(04-02-2016, 04:46 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: My hair is about 24 inches long and it doesn't affect my F10 (used during sleep study - I am STILL waiting on my machine from Aprea - grrr) but my beard does cause leaks sadly I expect once I get my machine I will have to shave - sigh...

Don't shave... may I suggest the Respironics DreamWear??? Thinking-about

I will certainly look into that if it will save my beard Smile The F10 is comfortable and works up to about 13 to 15, then it start leaking badly - at least in the test. It is very comfortable also - to me, so considering how many people have problems finding a comfortable mask that works for them, I was very happy with my F10 at the trial. However I am certainly will to try others - Thanks!
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Oh, Please do not shave your beard!! My hubby has a full beard and uses an APAP with ResMed Swift FX head system. Even when he used a nose mask he did not need to shave. He has never had to use a FFM. Though he does sometimes use a chin strap even with his nasal pillows.

From the wife of a full bearded husband
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2016, 06:09 PM)Evpraxia Wrote:

Oh, Please do not shave your beard!! My hubby has a full beard and uses an APAP with ResMed Swift FX head system. Even when he used a nose mask he did not need to shave. He has never had to use a FFM. Though he does sometimes use a chin strap even with his nasal pillows.

From the wife of a full bearded husband

Yup, in my study the tech suggested a nose pillow/mask and I tried a P10? and it was very hard on me, so we switched to the F10FFM and I loved it. First try and it was very comfortable and easy for me to breath up to 18. But, at 18 I had a blow out... and down to 13 or so I had leaks. Luckily the doctor wrote my prescription for 10 - hopefully that will work. But, I may get a P10 when I pick up my machine just to experiment with.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2016, 03:40 PM)kyhmm72 Wrote: My only rant for the moment.... I have extremely curly hair, and it's fairly short. I tried using my CPAP without my hair in a ponytail, but it's not possible. The mask won't stay put, at all. And then I have to struggle to get the ponytail in the right place for comfort LOL. Anyone else have hair that dictates how you sleep???

~Helen

I assume you are talking about the strap in the back sliding upwards?
I used to try the ponytail, but it is uncomfortable to sleep.
Try using an old fashioned Bobby pin, or hair pin on the back strap. This way you won't have to put your hair in a pony tail.

No matter what we do, our hair won't be pretty in the morning.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  F&P Evora Full With Facial Hair DreamerDude 2 955 11-19-2022, 06:02 PM
Last Post: DreamerDude
  Mask Slippage with Fine Hair Donna 18 10,601 01-20-2021, 12:27 AM
Last Post: PaulaBunyan
  Full Face Mask Fit with Facial Hair? dreamstream 15 3,832 07-28-2020, 07:21 AM
Last Post: ragtopcircus
  Ladies: hair issue Palmtrees 12 2,134 09-02-2019, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  AirFit N30i mask OK for people with short head hair? vroomvroom 10 2,716 09-02-2019, 08:15 AM
Last Post: ragtopcircus
  CPAP making my eyes very puffy, drying my hair and skin, causing it to itch Thanos 5 2,869 04-02-2019, 02:15 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Hair transplant mimono 4 2,304 10-15-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.