Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can the CA pulses be confused as heart palpitations?
Can the CA pulses be confused as heart palpitations?
I feel my therapy is for the most part "dialed in". Sleep is "normal " (7-8 hours at night) and I am feeling great. My AHI has jumped up as sleep improved, half are CAs, and half Hs.

My problem is, when I am half asleep, I feel (or hear) what I think are palpitations. I have had an EKG, ECG, Holter monitor, and a nuclear stress test. All tests were fine. 

My question is - Am I miss interpreting the pulses used to differentiate CAs from OAs as heart palpitations? It only happens when I am half asleep and on my CPAP.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can the CA pulses be confused as heart palpitations?
I'm wondering if you're having myoclonic muscle jerks. These tend to happen as one is falling asleep. Some muscles will contract abruptly and your body may jerk.
Does that seem like what is happening?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
For ResMed's that's a 1 cm-water amplitude pulse train at 4 Hertz. Too fast for a palp; and unlikely to be felt.
Since your cardio workup is good. I tend to think it's some other observed phenomenon. Such as that suggested by Beej.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Just stop breathing for 10 seconds and feel the FOT pulses. Pretty easy to do.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2017, 10:01 PM)Beej Wrote: I'm wondering if you're having myoclonic muscle jerks. These tend to happen as one is falling asleep. Some muscles will contract abruptly and your body may jerk.
Does that seem like what is happening?

Very possible. I will have to explore this further. Now that you mention it, they are always just before I get close to falling asleep. Since I cannot ignore them, I wake up completely and they stop immediately. 
It's hard to describe the feeling, could the muscle contractions be the muscles involved in breathing, throat, or airway?

Since I (for the most part) don't feel my heart beat, should I not feel a palpitation?

Since my tests are negative and my heart doctor did not schedule any follow up tests, I will try pay attention from this aspect. 

Should I start a new thread with "myoclonic muscle jerks" in the title?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2017, 08:17 AM)Rcgop Wrote: Should I start a new thread with "myoclonic muscle jerks" in the title?

Nah. I can see a thread with that title going off course in a hurry... Big Grin
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok. No new thread. But, last night I paid better attention and there might be something to it. My research turned up sleep related myoclonus and palate myoclonus.  Restless leg syndrome, hiccups, and other muscle twitching all fall under this item.

Last night was a minimal night but I still noticed "pulsing ". Only when I am half asleep trying to go to sleep and not when I am just waking up. I tried to pinpoint the location and the best I could do is above my heart and below my ears. Which is the exact location of the soft tissue responsible for sleep apnea. If this is what is happening, it would explain a lot of my difficulties getting used to the CPAP.

I did not find anything related to sleep apnea directly but it was sleep related and could interfere with sleep for those worried about heart issues.

I would appreciate any comments if any knows more about the topic.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2017, 10:57 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Just stop breathing for 10 seconds and feel the FOT pulses.  Pretty easy to do.

This.

Lay in bed with mask and machine on. Relax. Chill out. Mellow yourself until you think you are still enough to notice. Then hold your breath for at least 10 seconds.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 192 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 293 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 358 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Sleep study heart rate 250 bpm phoebesalva 5 407 01-13-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: phoebesalva
  waking up every 15 minutes and heart shedu1337 11 893 12-26-2023, 06:38 AM
Last Post: shedu1337

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.