Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can the Resmed autosense 10 be turned off remotley
Can the Resmed autosense 10 be turned off remotley
HI everyone                                                                                                                       Date: 12/16/2017   

re:
CPAP machine
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
i am a Medicare person.

First i want to say i'm new here ( notice the Plaque under my name too ). Just signed up today. I want to say i hope everyone is doing well and happy holidays for those who celebrate it.

I have an compliance issue with medstar who provided me with the CPAP machine. It is wireless and i know they can collect data and remotely update the firmware.

Backstory and Compliance as a Medicare person:
i fell out of compliance because i couldn't get used to the machine fast enough for Medstar ( 3 month time limit ).

I tried to explain to Medstar that i wasn't born with this a CPAP on my face and needed more time to get used to it.
3 months trying to get used to it after living without one for 60 years. I needed more time. Denied.

i was told that i have to redo sleep study all over again while others NOT on medicare could simply visit the doctor to get a new Script
and they could keep their machine. They told me to visit the Doctor and get a new prescription (script). So i did. He wrote the Script for the CPAP machine and i was still DENIED. They still said return your CPAP machine.

I asked Medstar why did you tell me to go get another script - which i did - and now you're telling me i need another sleep study and return the machine.
I was told by Medstar this rule ONLY applies to Medicare people. Medstar told me People who have so-called real over priced insurance are excempt from this rule.

70 dollars up front and 475 dollars vs 575:
Also before i got the machine they wanted 70 dollars first and i gave them a secondary bank account so they can take 7 bucks for 3 months. After i payed 70 dollars up front then they took their sweet time sending me the machine. 2 months after the Sleep Study.
I only got it after i told the Doctor i was still waiting for it. Doctor called Medstar then they sent it. Medstar didnt want the 7 bucks anymore - they now wanted 475 dollars. First they said pay575 dollars and went back to 475 dollars 3 days later. That's shady business - so i closed my debt card and told them to send me an invoice on paper. I got it 12-16-2017 for 475 dollars.
Funny thing is they billed Medicare the Same amount.

CPAP Machine not working right since my Dispute:
My question is this. While i am fighting them on the disputed amount Can they cut the machine OFF while i am using it.
There have been some nights where i use the the CPAP machine for 7 hours only to find out on some mornings it if OFF and
some other mornings after sleeping 7-8 hours it reports 2 hours of use.

Bottom line question:
Can the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet be turned off remotely by Medstar of any other person(s) or company and/or tempered with in any way remotely?

Thanks for reading this. Maybe the New York Attorney Generals office might like to read this even thou he's busy with this net neutrality thing in NY.

PS  i am going to reschedule another sleep study just to clear this up. Oh yeh, I'm finally used to the face mask. Not fast enough for Medstar but fast enough for me. Every one is different it is not one size fits all in reference to time frame.

Cylon452
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can the Resmed autosense 10 be turned off remotley
With what they are charging you might as well buy one of your own (an autoset).
They do have a modem in them and they can adjust them remotely, but I don't know if they can turn them off as such.
If you put it into Airplane mode the modem will stop.

Welcome to the forum.

I have no idea of your confusing medical system!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cylon452,
Bottom line is if you want Medicare to pay for your machine, you have to follow their compliance rules.  If you don't fulfill their compliance rules, the DME has every right to take your machine back as they won't be paid by Medicare.  If you don't return the machine, they will invoice you.

It would be better for you if you contact Medicare regarding your coverage.  Explain what happened, and ask them what the next step is.  Don't just automatically believe what your DME tells you.

Medicare Compliance:
Must use CPAP a minimum of 4 hours a day, 70% of the time, for 30 consecutive days within the first 90-day period.
Must also have a face to face Doctor Appointment after the first 31 days, but before the 90-day period is up.

I don't see any reason for another sleep study.  Check with Medicare, and while your at it, ask for a list of providers they contract with and then change providers.
Also, get a copy of your sleep study and prescription.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
cylon, what was the $475 for? Does it pay off the machine, or is it a rental charge?

FYI, on Amazon the seller Sistemma is selling the AirSense 10 for 37209 her with heated humidifier for $555, and at $609, they throw in the heated hose and mask. At least you would own the equipment and never have rental charges, copay or compliance hassles.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Can the Resmed autosense 10 be turned off remotley

Is it possible that your machine is set to AutoStart?

I recall hearing something about the machine mistakingly thinking that you've stopped using it, although this is a potential problem with nasal pillows (? Sorry, my thinking is awfully muzzy lately - hopefully someone will come along and correct or clarify this). It shouldn't be an issue with a full face mask though, as far as I know.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect you threw the mask off overnight so smart start shut the machine down. If it keeps shutting down turn off smart start in the menus
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your support and reading my post.

sleep2snore - ( cool name )  your right, at that price i should own it.

jaswilliams -  I am known at night to take it off from time to time when i sleep. I don't remember doing it, but my wife has seen it off when she wakes up. i also may have a leak issue with the face mask with all the hair on my face.

OpalRose : Yes i am aware of the medicare compliance and will work with them.  I will contact Medicare and tell the, what happened and what i should do and get a list providers.

SleepRider - ( cool name )  Not sure. I will look at the letter again an get back to you about the $475. If it pays off the machine i'll pay for it. I'll contact MedStar monday an ask if they will still supply parts for it. I seen on amazon i can get a new hose, filters,etc for it.

Kiwi - i don't know about autostart. But i have to push the top button to start it.

I want to thank you all for your support. I will keep you all posted. I'm sure i can work something out with all the advice you all provided. I do like the machine. It is quite and dosen't make any noise. also i didn't know these machines are expensive.

I did read the recommended models on you forum. which ones do you like. please let me know. I'll look into the Phillips one too since i used to own a Phillips laser disc player back in the days. I am considering purchasing one if i have too.

btw: great website ( forum ) i can learn alot here.

Cylon452
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2017, 02:13 PM)kiwii Wrote:
Quote:Can the Resmed autosense 10 be turned off remotley

Is it possible that your machine is set to AutoStart?

I recall hearing something about the machine mistakingly thinking that you've stopped using it, although this is a potential problem with nasal pillows (? Sorry, my thinking is awfully muzzy lately - hopefully someone will come along and correct or clarify this). It shouldn't be an issue with a full face mask though, as far as I know.

The nasal pillow issue is that there is not enough flow for the auto-shutoff when the mask is removed.  The pillows flow so little compared to a Nasal or FFM that the flow rate is not that much greater than a large mouth leak.
We keep ours on Autostart...  the turn-on works fine (sometimes too well, I've had it kick on when wiping my mask down), but it won't shut off.   I hit the "snooze" button when I get up... my wife pulls her mask off and lets me listen to the whoosh while she finds the button.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cylon452,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and getting your insurance problems resolved.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare allows a second 90 day period. It just requires the doctor to file the appropriate form. As to the rest, I don't know who Medstar is. Is that your supplementary? Medicare provider? DME? No clue.

I can tell you from personal experience that I did NOT pay even close to $475 for my machine and the supplies and I'm on Medicare. I paid the rental feel of about $10/month for 13 months plus I think $80 for the humidifier, first hose and first mask. So someone is ripping you off there and I'd contact Medicare FRAUD dept.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines SleepHungry 18 931 11-24-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirSense 11 turned off while in use; why??? rpierce 4 1,447 07-23-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Power connector on Resmed 11 Autosense mzipp 4 578 03-04-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Air leak issues with Resmed Autosense 10 Connaisance 0 466 02-18-2023, 06:15 AM
Last Post: Connaisance
  Airsense autoset 11 can I disable blowing again after turned off? plaidwandering 5 1,728 01-09-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  [CPAP] device starts blowing about 30 mins after being turned off willid3 3 1,120 08-25-2022, 11:22 AM
Last Post: willid3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.