Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can this be right ?
Can this be right ?
Hi All,

First a bit of background I was diagnosed in mid September 2017 with moderate sleep apnea following a home based sleep study. My overnight study showed that although predominately Obstructive sleep apnea there was a number of CA's as well ( I only know this after reviewing my data after visiting this site and becoming a member).

I was issued by the UK NHS a 'Brick' (Brand new Resmed S9 Escape) at my local sleep clinic. I fly every other week to Ireland so I decided to purchase a second machine for use in Ireland and after reading on here I purchased a Resmed Autoset 10 a typical night on this machine is below

[attachment=4474]

A bad night can look like this

[attachment=4475]

Based on the detail above and from an in hospital sleep study in december with my Autoset I was diagnosed with Mixed Sleep apnea and I am still waiting for the followup appointment to trial a BiLevel machine. I decided to do something myself being a computer engineer/ tech I decided to keep my eyes open for an ASV machine on the internet.

Two days ago I received a Resmed S9 Adapt SV (The old 2012 model with the non auto ASV mode) I purchased this second hand from a user in USA with 34hrs runtime for a great price of $750 plus shipping including the humidifier and a heated hose.

Now for my question I have used it for the last two nights first night I had no detailed data as my SD card did not initialize correctly but last night I have full data and for the last two nights I have had an AHI of 0.0 ZERO I am a cynic I don't believe it but I have looked at the detailed flow information I cannot see any time I stopped breathing wow. So am I deluding myself or is this machine the greatest ever ? 

Dielaughing
[attachment=4476]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can this be right ?
If all the event flags at the bottom are green, I'd unplug it to reset it. Not sure if you really had a Zero night or not. But these two steps should help resolve any doubts going forward.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
All flags are green it was a good point and I reset the machine a couple of times yesterday testing SD cards before last nights sleep so I know i’ve been obducted by aliens  Cool

Also rescan show an AHI of 0 as well I just don’t believe it and I am expecting it to all go sideways at a moments notice....

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Good for you!  You took matters into your own hands and purchased the machine that you needed, instead of waiting for the medical mafia system dictating your needs, making you jump through hoops, and wasting precious time.

We’ve all read the stories of many of our members that wait months, sometimes years to receive proper treatment.  I tend to blame the physicians and DME’s, but I’ve come to understand that they can only do what the insurance establishment dictates.  

For folk that deal with Medicare, and need an ASV machine, you would have to “fail” Cpap, next you are likely prescribed a BiPap, (which you most likely would fail), and then if your lucky, after many months of sub standard treatment, you may get an ASV.

The reality is that most can’t fund their own ASV, and have to play the insurance “game.”

I hope you continue to get good results.  Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations on a great night!
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like you nailed this problem on the first ASV try. Keep at it, and be sure to follow up with your medical team to let them know that this is the answer for future prescriptions. There is no doubt the machine is working very hard to mitigate your CA and hypopnea events, and you got EPAP at a level that apparently resolves any OA. Well done!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the good wishes.... it’s part of why I joined Apneaboard. For my Epap I used the 95% figure less the epr of 3 (Epr did not affect the CA count so I was using it like a PS of 3) to reduce the hypopneas that weren’t miss detected CA’s.

I tried a min Epap of 7 first half of the first night I did not like the feel it seemed to make me hyperventilate and feel light headed so I dropped the min  Epap to 6 and I feel great. I’ll now drop back to helping others mode also better update my profile. 

I will feedback to my medical team, they need to go to the trust for special funding apparently for an ASV I will prob go through the official hoops eventually, I have failed at CPap I expect to fail at BiLevel when I get issued with one... then I can get a NHS ASV and use mine as a backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, that is fantastic! Congratulations!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well Mr jaswilliams, either little green men are involved or a ghost or two, or you have hit it right first time like 

Keep it up Sleep-well
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
This is NOT the real AHI, jaswilliams !!!
Try to rebuild the data in SleepyHead from Data>Rebuild CPAP Data> {your new machine}
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.