Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can using a CPap/BiPap cause water retention?
Can using a CPap/BiPap cause water retention?
Ever since I started with using a BiPap machine I noticed that I no longer woke up at night needing to use the restroom. Before the machine I was up at least once and possibly twice every night. 

Since I no longer wake up needing to go the restroom though, I've been retaining a lot of water.

I've read that this happens with some people but don't remember where I read it. 

I've changed my diet and that is helping some. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what may have helped. If I can, I would rather not go the route of water pills for now.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can using a CPap/BiPap cause water retention?
It's my understanding that proper sleep causes a reduction in production during sleep. If you are retaining water during the day, it may be a symptom of kidney problems. I think a serum creatinine test might be in order and/or other kidney function tests - at least a chat with a doctor. Trust me, it's better to find out early.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The need for frequent night-time urination is a common side-effect of sleep apnea. Here is one explanation of what happens:

American Sleep Apnea Association Wrote:How does apnea cause nocturia? Umlauf explains that during episodes of sleep apnea, the soft structures in the throat relax and close off the airway, setting into motion a chain of physiological events. “Oxygen decreases, carbon dioxide increases, the blood become more acidic, the heart rate drops and blood vessels in the lung constrict,” says Umlauf. “The body is alerted that something is very wrong. The sleeper must wake enough to reopen the airway. By this time, the heart is racing and experiences a false signal of fluid overload. The heart excretes a hormone-like protein that tells the body to get rid of sodium and water, resulting in nocturia.”

The ability to sleep right through without bathroom breaks is one of the best and most immediate outcomes from CPAP treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
well you dont pee as much as you used to so yes you retain more fluid. you might have to go back to using those pills. ask your cardiologist. just dont use them before going to bed duh
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,374 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.