Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks with the Air Curve VAUTO
RE: Leaks with the Air Curve VAUTO
Yeah that makes more sense.

Something else I was thinking about.

ResMed shows venting for the P10 up to 20cm and the F20 up to 40cm. Is it possible they just didn't figure any vent pressure above 20cm for the P10 when they programed for pillows?

That could account for some of the problem but not all.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well can't change the settings for ResMed leak rates on Sleepyhead. Only total leaks which ResMed doesn't report.

After looking over 5 days worth of leaks it looks like two days are crazy wrong the other 3 days they were running about 9cm higher than normal.

I changed the setting to FFM and will see how close it gets to normal. If that don't work I'll use my math skills to figure the leak rate. Only problem with that is I'll have to take off my shoes if I have to count above ten.   Thinking-about
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The intentional leak rate you can put into SH is only for the devices that only report a total leak rate. (as in: philips as of now)

Resmed (I mean the data from the device) only reports excessive leak rate - meaning: the intentional leak or vent rate is already substracted in the device. You can "adjust" those values with the mask-setting in the device.
That is NOT something you do for "cosmetics" - that is essential!

the devices measure 2 sensors: the pressure in the machine and the total flow (also in the machine).
from just these 2 values is ALL the other data calculated. Even the pressure (presented to you) in your mask is calculated (as it can not be measured - there is only one point in time where the pressure in the device is the same as in the mask: that is during the time where there is absolutely no respiratory flow!).
The other important part is the flowrate of your breathing. Total-flow (as measured by the device) MINUS the total leak = your breahting flow-rate.
If the device gets the leak-rate wrong so is everything else.
(although I believe that flowlimits and the other 'stuff' that is solely based on the flank-changes of the flow are based only on the total-flow)

you can adjust the threshold for the "large leakage" in SH - that is the red line. But that does not change the "large leak" flags which come from your device. (and I am not convinced, that the real leakage was really that high where your machine flagged it as such).

They don't use hard coded values for the intentional leak - they use more like a function for that. With your setting in the device you can adjust the parameters of that function)

Your device gets it completely wrong - the moment you start to have small leaks your device shows "large leak".
Maybe you do you have leakage? - is the humidifier really "sealed"? - the hose is not damaged? - every connection is sealed.

Did you change your filters? (sometimes this messes with the readings a lot)
Post Reply Post Reply
I was made aware, that this:
(09-20-2017, 04:25 AM)TBMx Wrote: you can adjust the threshold for the "large leakage" in SH - that is the red line. But that does not change the "large leak" flags which come from your device.
is completely wrong - SH is actually doing the flagging there. Thanks for pointing that out - was a 'gamechanger'-moment for me!

I have to admit that I am (regarding event-flagging) totally spoiled by my machine and didn't even think about one single second whether or not ResMed is flagging such an important event as Large Leaks in the device. Or maybe I just bought too fast and too much into their sales-line about leak-mangement and -detection. (Although I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around that fact.)
This puts ResMeds "leak rate" into a whole new perspective (not a very good one to be honest).

But as much as the rest of my previous post is concerned: I stand by that. If one value clearly is false - so are all the others that are based on that or derived from the same data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2017, 06:39 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: After looking over 5 days worth of leaks it looks like two days are crazy wrong the other 3 days they were running about 9cm higher than normal.

Try a full face mask for a while and see if you feel more rested. I realize that your leak rate is considered officially acceptable but when I look at your leak rate graph I see that the leak rate goes up and down quite a bit. In my experience that can ruin your night's sleep. How you feel can be more important than what your date tells you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
TBMx, Machine was right out of the box. I've had it for a week. I checked everything. No leaks.

Sleepster, I sleep pretty good. I had terrible sleep with Full Face Masks.

I switched to the Full Face Mask setting on the Air Curve last night. My medium leak rate was 3.6.

My DreamStation medium leak rate normally runs 2 to 3.

No other real changes to the numbers.

So I don't know why my machine is reading high on pillows. Sleeprider said he doesn't have this problem with his Air Curve and he uses the same mask. But since all the other numbers are the same I'll just keep it in FFM mode and avoid the hassles of returning it through the mail.

Thanks everyone for all the input.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla Walla,
I'm looking at this from a different point of view.  I'd start tracing the air delivery path from the source looking for a possible pinhole type of leak.   I would pay very close attention to the seals and sealing area in and around the humidifier.  The slightest sealing void could account for your leak discrepancy.

Please keep posting your findings.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape,
Double checked. No leaks.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the bright side, you now know where it isn't leaking. Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Dielaughing
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 285 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 860 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 564 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 466 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 88 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.