Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can xPap blow out the thorax
Can xPap blow out the thorax
Thisi is somthing I haven't seen mentioned before, so wanted to ask. Is it posible?  How would that happen?  And if it did would you die?
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can xPap blow out the thorax
No. Not possible, never happened, never will.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Correct Sleeprider.

Our xPAP machines couldn't create enough to cause harm. We're safe in using these without worry, Cpapian.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to know that.  Surprisingly it was a medical professional who said that.  Guess he wasjust try to scare me.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Set your machine to the highest pressure you can, and try to blow up a balloon. I bet you will be surprised.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be surprised if it blew up.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a good comparison SleepRider... but you have to try to use the machine to blow up the balloon, and then try to blow up the balloon yourself (in the ordinary way).
If you can blow up the balloon without blowing out your thorax, you will be safe on your CPAP machine.

Sometimes I wish I could turn off my built-in English language parser, or at least not comment when it complains about ambiguity... sorry!
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think I have the strength to blow up a balloon. Ever.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Max pressure for xPAP (non-ASV) is 20cm H2O

100cm H2O would be about the minimum for middle ear barotrauma.
IIRC, 200cm is minimum for thoracic barotrauma but don't hold me to that, it's been 20 years since my diving courses.
In practice, the mask seal would blow out long before it caused damage to your lungs.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a thorax issue or other condition that caused the doc to say that?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  xPAP replacement midwestguy 2 474 07-31-2022, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
Question [Pressure] New xPAP user - Question about Centrals on OSCAR AeroM 41 3,793 02-21-2022, 11:31 PM
Last Post: AeroM
  Looking for nasal mask advice, air (used to) blow out of my mouth under pressure LongJumpingEnergy 12 1,842 11-06-2021, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
  Resmed xPAP - Remote monitoring and Remote set up struts 8 1,402 08-16-2020, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  [Health] Another reason for xPap therapy srlevine1 1 848 12-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Air escaping from mouth with XPAP Paula McCabe 20 8,290 11-25-2019, 06:25 AM
Last Post: LeonardoDR
  Thoughts on mouth breathing and xPAP effectiveness? MNsleeplessnights 14 1,949 11-19-2019, 04:01 PM
Last Post: 70sSanO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.