Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can you have sleep apnea during the day?
RE: Can you have sleep apnea during the day?
I just posted a similar thread seconds ago. Mine is Obstructive Apnea which happens whenever I relax at any time, sitting, standing or lying down. I can cause it to happen by choosing to relax. There is no doubt I am awake. Is there a name for it? Is it caused by something other than what causes OSA?
Post Reply Post Reply
I sometimes get a small obstructive "snark" sound while vigorously
hiking or exercising. Since being aware of my sleep apnea, I would
guess that is the same tissue that is involved in my obstructive
apnea events. Also, my whole life I've had a habit of forgetting to
breathe occasionally. They are likely the ones show up as centrals in ResScan at night.
If I'm really focused on something I hold my breath, or not so much hold it as just stop breathing. On numerous occasions I'll suck in a huge breath and realize only at that moment that I have not been breathing for a time.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I sit still for a long time, such as sitting in front of a computer reviewing spreadsheets, or similar piles o'data, I have "lost my breath" and gasp for a breath of air similar as I did while sleeping before CPAP.

Doesn't happen often, but can be startling to say the least.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny thing. I have sleep apnea, of course, but along with it, I have narcolepsy. With narcolepsy, you can fall asleep for a minute and not even know it. Before I was on CPAP therapy, there were times during the day that I would gasp for air for no reason. I believe that I would fall asleep during the day for just a minute and I wasn't breathing during that time.

To make a long story short, because I use CPAP at night, it has helped my narcoleptic sleep times during the day.
:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2012, 07:55 PM)mjbearit Wrote: If I am laying down or reclining doing something like watching television or reading my airway will begin to collapse on a regular basis as I relax (yes, I am wide awake). And it is very annoying as it basically causes the same symptoms as OSA in sleep, but since you are awake, you react quickly and change position or something.

This happens to me too. Relaxation, then collapse of airway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zonk, I know this thread is 4 years old but I have the EXACT same things you described. Breathing deep, sighing all day long.... I didn't even think it had anything to do with sleep, but I took a sleep study and they said my Apnea is off the charts, including hypopneas. I've been on the CPAP for a week now, still having the same issues but hoping for the best. Please tell me the CPAP helped for you! I am seeing a pulmonologist in a few weeks too just to cover all the bases.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be great if you started a new thread. That way you can get the help you need without it getting lost among this old thread.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
This post is very interesting to me. I started with a CPAP last July, 2016, with success in getting my apnea AHI to 2 very quickly and that continued until December when I started to take Lexapro for depression. The Lexapro worked very well and I felt great; however, over time, I have seen my nighttime central apneas going up to between 8 and 12 an hour at night. Before I had an average number of .5 for 6 months for Central Apneas.

I am now sleeping very badly. When awake and trying to get to sleep with my CPAP on, the Central Apneas do the same thing. 

This is very distressing because I can only relate it to a change in medication, which helps my mental state significantly, but my sleep is suffering. On some nights, I am lucky to get those Central Apneas down to 2 to 4, but mostly they are over 8, even if I don't get rest.

I have a Sleep Apnea appointment scheduled in April, but will call for an earlier appointment. My recent Pulmonary tests were relatively normal, or at least unchanged and oxygen levels were within normal limits.

Like the other writer, I feel as though I am hyperventilating sometimes, and having to breathe but I am not out of breath.

Thanks for the feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the medicine is causing you to sleep poorly I would recommend you address that issue. You know the CPAP therapy works because it was working before you started on the medication. Can you make an appointment with the doctor who prescribed the Lexapro and discuss this?

Have you considered therapy as an option to treat your depression? That, along with CPAP therapy, may be the combination that will work for you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My depressive events have virtually vanished since using PAP therapy. Did you have depressive events before going on to CPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 288 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 125 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 556 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.