Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can you obtain keys for CPAP machines?
Can you obtain keys for CPAP machines?
So I had another sleep study done because I wasn't getting a full night's sleep at night and the result is that I need my pressure setting changed from 5 to 8. However, Lincare is being obtuse because the insurance needs a secondary diagnoses of something like depression or daytime sleepyness in order for my insurance to pay for anything because I only stop breathing 8 times an hour (the cut off is 15 times an hour). I'm not up for a new machine anyway until June because I got this machine June of 2009 and I guess it has to be EXACTLY 5 years before the insurance would pay for it. I just really need my pressure changed, but I have a Fisher & Paykel Sleepstyle 200 which requires a key inserted into the back of the machine in order to change the pressure settings. I can access the settings, but cannot change them myself. The lady at Lincare was all confused when I told her that and she said they don't have keys. So does anybody know any way I can obtain a key for this machine so I can stop suffering? I am becoming more of a bitch every day, it's getting harder to control my temper every day that his goes on because I'm NOT GETTING SLEEP. I slept 10 hours last night and I'm still in a fog. Help please crygreen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can you obtain keys for CPAP machines?
I've never heard of keys for a machine.
Most machines just have a secret sequence to enter the clinician menu to change settings.

Yes, most insurance is 5 years for a new machine; unless your treatment requires a different type machine (such as a bi-level.)

Hopefully someone will be acquainted with your machine.

Will this help?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxyreRrP3-U
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you post a picture of the key slot? It could be a common key would work in it.

You can also get a clinician's manual by requesting one from here (See setup manuals above).
Post Reply Post Reply
Picture of the key slot on the back of the machine:

[Image: cpapkeyslot_zps429d006d.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 12:13 PM)Sweet72947 Wrote: Picture of the key slot on the back of the machine:

[Image: cpapkeyslot_zps429d006d.jpg]

THAT's a serial port jack.

See my link to the youtube video for entering the setup menu.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
That looks like a DC power connector or as Mongo said, a serial port. However they make keys in some strange shapes.

I just watched a YouTube video of how to change the pressure on your model machine and it didn't say that you needed a key. You press the "ramp" and "next" (bottom) buttons at the same time and hold them until the display changes. You then hit the "next" button until you see the pressure (cmH2O) number flashing and then press the up or down button to change it. Then press the "next" button when done.

If yours does require a key, we'll need to do some more investigating.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know for a FACT that my machine requires a key because when I first got the machine in 2009, I saw the guy insert a metal key into the back where that "port" is to check the settings. I also just called the 1-800 number on the back of my machine and spoke with a tech support guy who says he doesn't think keys are manufactured any more. I know how to access my settings, but the machine does NOT let me change them!! The tech support guy said there's a way to to change it without a key but he wasn't allowed to tell me. Sad

The guy at Robert's Home Medical, where I first got this machine, actually had a whole keyring of those keys. I looked at the manual, I saw one for a Sleepstyle 200 Auto, but I don't think my machine is an Auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 12:38 PM)Sweet72947 Wrote: I know for a FACT that my machine requires a key because when I first got the machine in 2009, I saw the guy insert a metal key into the back where that "port" is to check the settings. I also just called the 1-800 number on the back of my machine and spoke with a tech support guy who says he doesn't think keys are manufactured any more. I know how to access my settings, but the machine does NOT let me change them!! The tech support guy said there's a way to to change it without a key but he wasn't allowed to tell me. Sad

The guy at Robert's Home Medical, where I first got this machine, actually had a whole keyring of those keys. I looked at the manual, I saw one for a Sleepstyle 200 Auto, but I don't think my machine is an Auto.

Survey says -- serial port.

[Image: SerialPort.jpg]
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if the "Key" just shorts out the serial port to allow the changes? Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
There is an electronic key that can be used like the SD card in a ResMed machine to update setting on the machine.
It's intended to allow the clinician to give the key with the new info on it, take it home; and update their machine.

You do not need that key to change settings. Watch the video!!!
Your answer is there.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 124 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 855 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 522 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 610 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,900 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,107 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 788 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.