Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can you see your uvula?
Can you see your uvula?
You cannot see my uvula with my wide mouth open unless I press very hard on my tongue and with it fully extended and even then, I have to try and flex muscular in the back of my throat to see it. I'm wondering if this is one of the main reasons my apnea is so severe and why an oral appliance was not effective for me. Wouldn't that be interesting if that were the case? It would give people some criterion in which to base the success of an oral appliance or not. Is anyone else not able to see their uvula without taking the measures I've described? Thanks for any replies.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can you see your uvula?
Success rate is low with oral devices in general. Especially for those with severe apnea.

I have no idea about the uvula bit. The shape of the tongue, throat, jaw, etc. probably has a big effect.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Elen,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is enlarged uvulas vs small ones that are can make sleep apnea treatment difficult.

The smaller the airway, the easier it is for it to collapse since it has less distance to go. So a small uvula would make more room vs add to the crowding. Unless your uvula is hidden due to other issues or deformity, it isn't the cause of your failure with the oral device.

Besides, if the sleep doc or dentist didn't mention the size of it, it is not a cause nor collaborator. The dentist (assuming that is who sold you the oral device) would have wanted it to work and would have said something.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
You would have a hard time anyway, since the angle is usually wrong - we check ulvulas from a relatively high angle, and the angle you often see in a mirror isn't the same, so I don't think you difficulty in seeing it is cause for concern - if your doc has not remarked on it, then don't give it too much thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much for the replies. I looked in my friend's mouth recently (from dead on), who doesn't have apnea, and it was like a huge cavern, uvula clearly discerned, nice high wide arch which extended to the back. When you look at mine, it is just awful. The back drops quickly off, looks like roof of mouth touches tongue. In fact, I get the feeling my mouth didn't develop properly. I got this idea from reading another SA poster who said the same thing. No wonder I am in such a dire way anatomically. One very honest sleep dentist told me I had a "myriad" of mouth problems. I am over my depression about it today. I have my sleep apnea routine down pat (consistently low AHI), even though the routine is probably a horror show to most people (even SA people). I had to think outside the box and "modify" things a lot.

Again, thanks very much. This site is very interesting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not without a mirror.

OMyMyOHellYes
Post #4 to get to he point where I can post a link! Four more to go!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blockage during exhale - Uvula/Soft Palate mikemky 86 67,438 12-19-2022, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Grin swollen uvula Ulrika 5 2,793 01-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Last Post: foss

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.