Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can you set Aircurve VAuto Bipap to run as an Auto Cpap?
Can you set Aircurve VAuto Bipap to run as an Auto Cpap?
I met with my new Sleep Doctor about 3 weeks ago - didn't really make any headway with anything.  But when I told her I was still struggling with getting restful sleep with the Bipap (started it about November 2017), she asked "do you want us to set it to run like an Airsense 10 Auto?".  My pressure needs are not high - it runs about 11-14 and I don't have many centrals or other extraordinary issues, so I've always wondered about the reason for the Bipap (prescribed by previous doctor).

The Bipap is set at 11-20 with a PS of 2.  I wake up and toss and turn all night and never feel relaxed.  Have tried full face, nasal, and pillows masks - same result.

Is is possible to set an Aircurve VAuto Bipap to run like an Auto Cpap - my settings on the Auto were 11-17 with EPR of 1.  I just wonder sometimes about the other settings on the Bipap like the trigger, etc. (all set to factory settings) and how they may or may not be affecting my breathing.  Like almost all Sleep Doctors, she just looks at the AHIs and pronounces everything "fine".  My AHIs are running about 2-2.5, but if they went be how I feel, they would be 10-15 or more.

Just wondering - thanks for any input.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can you set Aircurve VAuto Bipap to run as an Auto Cpap?
Yes it you can set it up like your old Auto CPAP. Set EPAP to 10cm, set PS to 1cm and set Max IPAP to 17cm. That will give you the same pressures you had on your CPAP.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
What about the other settings like Trigger etc?
Post Reply Post Reply
Since there's no place to adjust those settings on the Auto CPAP I'd guess just using the default settings on the VAUTO would work fine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Another way to look at is VAuto settings (EPAP) are CPAP settings (IPAP) - EPR.   VAuto PS = CPAP EPR

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes those 3 are comparable, but the Bipap has some other settings that cause it to function differently than an Auto - TI Max, TI Min, Trigger, and Cycle - when I tried to set those to zero or off, you can't.  There are certain ranges that TI can go to and the Trigger and Cycle can be set low to high, etc. 

These aren't on an Autosene 10, and are additional settings on the BiPap.  I was thinking if you could turn those "off" maybe it would be identical to an Auto, but since you can't, I really don't know how they could set it to function Exactly like an Auto, because you would always have those other settings that affect how the Bipap operates.

Her Sleep Lab person had suggested I try setting the Trigger and Cycle to Low to improve comfort, and it had a Significant impact on the air flow - not in a good way, so I know they do influence how the Bipap is operating.
Post Reply Post Reply
The long answer

VAuto mode
In VAuto mode, the AutoSet algorithm automatically adjusts pressure in response to flow limitation,
snore and obstructive apneas.
Min EPAP, Max IPAP and pressure support in VAuto mode
Pressure support allows you to set the difference between inspiratory and expiratory pressure and
is fixed throughout the night. Min EPAP and Max IPAP settings allow you to restrict the delivered
pressure ranges in which the AutoSet algorithm can operate.
The EPAP and IPAP will vary across the session according to the patient’s needs. It responds to
snoring, apneas and flow limitation of the patient’s flow curve.
Min EPAP and Max IPAP can be adjusted to limit the upper and lower delivered pressure limits.

Triggering and cycling
VAuto, S and ST modes only
The device has adjustable trigger/cycle sensitivity to optimize the sensing level according to patient
conditions.
Under normal conditions, the device triggers (initiates IPAP) and cycles (terminates IPAP and
changes to EPAP) as it senses the change in patient flow. Patient breath detection is enhanced by
ResMed's VSync automatic leak management.

TiControl - Inspiratory time control
VAuto, S and ST modes only
Unique to ResMed bilevel devices, TiControl™ allows the clinician to set minimum and maximum
limits on the time the device spends in IPAP. The minimum and maximum time limits are set at
either side of the patient’s ideal spontaneous inspiratory time, providing a ’window of opportunity’
for the patient to spontaneously cycle to EPAP.
The minimum time limit is set via the Ti Min parameter and the maximum time limit is set via the Ti
Max parameter.
TiControl’s Ti Max and Ti Min parameters play a significant role in maximizing synchronization by
effectively intervening to limit or prolong the inspiratory time when required. This ensures
synchronization even in the presence of significant mouth and/or mask leak.

The following table is a guide to selecting the Ti Max and Ti Min values that best correspond to the
patient’s respiratory rate and inspiration and expiration ratio, depending on the respiratory
conditions.
Examples:
  • I:E = 1:1 – Ti Min prevents the premature cycling to EPAP for patients whose inspiratory effort is extremely weak.
  • I:E = 1:3 – Ti Max limits the inspiration time for patients who require a longer expiration time.

The Triggering and cycling and TiControl - Inspiratory time control are not available in an AutoSet and apparently they cannot be disabled, only set up do do what they were designed to do, help trigger breathing for the user when needed and adjusted properly.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred, looks like you just wrote another Wiki.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info and explanations.  I guess since they cannot be disabled, there is no way to set a VAuto Bipap to work Exactly like an Auto Cpap.  So I really don't know what the doctor meant when she said they could set it that way.......

It would seem that the extra settings on the Bipap would make the whole process more comfortable, and I'm sure that is the intention, but for me, it doesn't seem to be working that way.

And the Sleep Doctors don't seem to know much about those extra settings, which makes it even more fun.  My previous Doctor didn't even know they existed.....

Your explanation ended with the perfect summary/puzzle - "when needed and adjusted properly".  I wonder how that affects our sleep when the doctors/sleep technicians don't know how to do that and leave everything on factory settings that may or may not be right for everyone?
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the things we do here is adjust to comfort.  Post your dailies and settings and we should be able to help with that.
The basic VAuto AutoSet (hint, hint) algorithm is the same algorithm as the AutoSet, but acting on EPAP and adding PS instead of acting on IPAP and subtracting the EPR.

I've never heard of anyone detecting the difference except that PS can be much higher than the AutoSet EPR.   The impact of Timing can be minimized by setting to values compatible with your breathing.  That is by setting to timings that would rarely occur.

On the Sensitivity, Medium would be the default, if you wish try something else (you did) and if it didn't work, set it back or try something else.

The bottom line is that we cannot help you with your settings unless we know your settings and see your daily charts.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 101 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 980 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 Vauto ANTIKATE 5 149 04-14-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 17 686 04-14-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Bipap VAuto Settings Help Please jonoc99 5 148 04-12-2024, 04:16 PM
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,362 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
  Aircurve 10 or 11 replacement Shamus54 8 217 04-11-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.