Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can you still have central apneas on ASV??
Can you still have central apneas on ASV??
I have a resmed ASV and was just wondering if it is still possible to have central apneas while on an ASV machine or does the machine take care of all centrals with the backup rate?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can you still have central apneas on ASV??
My opinion would be that centrals could occur if the settings aren't right for the user. The ASV, like all other xPAP machines, need dialed in for the individual. No machine can do its job properly without being enabled to function correctly via the correct settings, per said individual needs.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Dave. If the ASV, or any CPAP, isn't properly adjusted then it can't address the patient's apneas and/or hypopneas.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Post Reply Post Reply
But the machine won't report the event as a CA as it only reports UA's and Hypopnea
Post Reply Post Reply
So the only way to know is to look at the flow graph in sleepyhead huhh
Post Reply Post Reply
If I understand ASV machines which is probably questionable. Clear apnea events never go away. That's the purpose of the backup forced breaths the machine gives you. What the machine does is adjust pressure for obstructive events while providing assisted breaths for clear apnea events. So aside from the breaths per seconds settings there's no other adjustment to be made for clear apnea.

OK now everyone can correct me.    Big Grin
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2018, 01:54 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: If I understand ASV machines which is probably questionable. Clear apnea events never go away. That's the purpose of the backup forced breaths the machine gives you. What the machine does is adjust pressure for obstructive events while providing assisted breaths for clear apnea events. So aside from the breaths per seconds settings there's no other adjustment to be made for clear apnea.

OK now everyone can correct me.    Big Grin

Your logic on that actually makes alot of sense!!
Post Reply Post Reply
as I understand it the asv resolves ca and periodic breathing without user intervention.  unlike other bilevel's , with asv there is no setting for back up breaths; it's built into the algorithm.  from resmed's website advertising:

"The AirCurve 10 ASV bilevel machine offers truly personalized therapy for central breathing disorders, such as Cheyne-Stokes respiration (CSR), central sleep apnea (CSA) and associated obstructive events. Featuring the most clinically-studied and proven ASV algorithm, AirCurve 10 ASV is the only adaptive servo-ventilator that targets the patient’s own recent minute ventilation.

ASV mode
The clinically-published ASV algorithm constantly learns, responds, predicts and synchronizes with the patient’s respiratory pattern to help rapidly stabilize respiration.

The pressure support varies to respond to the patient's need. Mandatory breaths are delivered at the patient’s recent spontaneous breath rate.  [my emphasis]

ASVAuto mode
In ASVAuto mode, this bilevel machine not only responds within the breath, adjusting Pressure Support to stabilize respiration, it also automatically adjusts the expiratory pressure in order to provide the minimum pressure required to maintain upper airway patency. It analyzes the state of the patient’s upper airway on a breath-by-breath basis and delivers expiratory pressure within the allowed range."

edit: I should add that I think it's odd that all apnea are unclassified if clear or central's are automatically resolved. still, there seems to be a presumption that unclassified apnea is obstructive.
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason the apnoea is classed as unclassified is that an ASV does not do the Forced Oscillation technique (It's busy doing it's thing) so it does not know if the apnoea are CA's or obstructive. By looking in detail at the flow to can some times tell but I don't have enough events remaining at night to worry about, my treated AHI is often 0 occasionally 0.24 my CA's if they flag anything flag as hypopnoeas the machine blew as hard as it could and I only took a partial breath.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 584 23 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,518 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 306 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.