Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can you use different branded masks and machines?
Can you use different branded masks and machines?
Hey Folks,

I have a resmed airsence 10 and normally use a resmed airfit p10 nasal pillows mask.

However I'm considering getting a full-face option for when I have a cold and it's hard to breath exclusively through my nose. As I have a huge beard - it seems the best air seal would be achieved with a the Philips Respironics FitLife Total Face mask.

My question is - can one use a Philips Mask with Resmed machine? The tubes fit together ok (I rented a philips mask once) but can I rely on the data produced in relation to leaking/events etc - or will the resmed info be out because it assumes I have a resmed mask?

Sorry is this is a silly question!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can you use different branded masks and machines?
Yes, any brand CPAP mask will work with any CPAP/bilevel/BiPAP/VPAP machine with only VERY minor problems, if any.

Some machines, such as Respironics machines, have a "mask resistance" setting that should match, but the machine will probably work OK with the wrong setting. You might need to guess at the setting.

ResMed machines seem to only care about the full face/nasal/pillow setting for the mask.

It is important to ONLY use masks intended for CPAP with built in exhaust vents. Sometimes a hospital will use an unvented mask intended to be used only with a separate exhaust vent.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto on archangle's comment..

Additionally, just FYI, I had the same concern that I wouldn't be able to use my P10 when I had a cold, but I found that the direct pressure supplied by the mask seems to push my sinus congestion "out of the way" when I have a cold and make it easier to breathe through my nose. Thus, I never pursued getting a backup full-face mask. It's also worth noting that I did not have the same experience with my N10 nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
any brand mask with any brand machine will work. I use a Resmed A-10 FFM with a Respironics PR-1 ASV.
I seem to remember that there was a chart somewhere that suggested settings to be used for various masks regarding the resistance setting, but can't find it. Not a big deal. Just use the setting that matches from a similar type mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 15 215 30 minutes ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 2 68 58 minutes ago
Last Post: Dawnstar
  Skin Irritation from Masks Granny7 19 2,739 04-13-2024, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 518 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  csa machines cexer 1 132 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 444 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 875 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.