Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New To CPAP, hoping to get some help reading this chart
New To CPAP, hoping to get some help reading this chart
Like the title says, I recently purchased a CPAP to deal with what my PCP said is most likely sleep apnea. I opted to buy it without a sleep study/prescription after doing some research and weighing the cost benefits. Anyway, I'm just trying to see if any adjustments need to be made. I'm definitely sleeping better than I was, but not nearly as good as I used to pre-sleep apnea. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jay

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New To CPAP, hoping to get some help reading this chart
Hi.  Here is what we recommend to newcomers who are not getting what they think, or hope, they need from their device:

a. Turn off 'ramp' function.  We try to convince people to just shut it off.  They won't miss it, almost to a person.  It just skews the AHI at the end of the sleep period, and you get no therapy as you fall asleep.

b.  Raise your upper pressure.  You're spending a lot of time up at the upper limit, but your stated AHI is rather higher than we like to see.  I don't know why you can't get it down into the 1.2 range with a little tweaking, and the first bet would be to raise your upper limit, by about 3 to start with. It might mean some adjusting, both to the pressure, and to the impact it might have on the seal around your face.

c. It seems that your events tend to cluster, and that most often signals chin-tucking. Many of us, most of us, tend to lower our chins toward our chests as we get comfortable in sleep. However, you're probably pinching closed, or mostly so, your airway. If you suspect this is the case, purchase a suitably sized soft foam cervical collar and wear it whenever you sleep.

If that helps, we can add other improvements.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the quick reply!

My ramp function is turned off, but I'll definitely try the rest of your advice. Very much appreciated. 

Jay
Post Reply Post Reply
Jay,

What is PCP?

Are you trying to titrate (figure out your pressure) yourself? Did you see any doctor about your sleepiness?

I recommended you are followed by someone to make sure you only need a machine and not missing a diagnosis.

I agree you need to increase the pressure range a couple of degrees.

In a lab setting the patient is monitored and numbers slowly increased. Oxygen levels, SpO2, needed to get to a minimum of 90%.

I am not a doctor and I know nothing about you, you need to be careful.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the notion of Positional Apnea. You can read about it in the wiki. A cervical collar of the correct size should help.

Not familiar enough with the AirCurve to make an intelligent remark, but if it were an AirSense 10 AutoSet I would say minimum pressure of 7.
Post Reply Post Reply
Made some of the adjustments recommended above, and these were the results:

How long should it take until I start to feel more energetic and less sluggish? Looking forward to finally getting back to my old self!

Jay
Post Reply Post Reply
Great advice so far.

I just want to add that sometimes just changing your pillow can help with the positional apnea.
If you use multiple, or fluffy, pillows try to switch to a flatter one.
Think about the angle of your head/neck as you relax.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to learn more about soft cervical collars and positional apnea see the link below. The WIKI article on soft cervical collars has and embedded ink in blue to an article on positional apnea.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Jay - your numbers look good. As you can tell, however, numbers are not the whole story. The more important part is how you feel -- refreshed, clear-headed, etc. Some folks see results earlier than others. Stay the course, persevere, you will get there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto - Oscar Chart Raven87 18 323 Yesterday, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Raven87
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 24 1,395 04-18-2024, 10:17 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,190 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 387 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 214 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 328 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 136 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.