Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Canada- Buying CPAP in the USA, Customs, Broker Fees etc?

For anyone in Canada who ordered a CPAP in the USA and had it delivered to Canada were there any additional fees, issues with Customs, Broker fees that were not covered with free shipping from supplier?

I previously bought a CPAP from USA before, but I brought it over the border.  That is not an option now.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Canada- Buying CPAP in the USA, Customs, Broker Fees etc?
If you ship via USPS, and can stand to wait for nearly two weeks to get it, you will only be charged GST.  If you ship via the couriers, you will have to pay their fee plus the 'handling' fee for 'customs brokerage'.  It's a racket.

I purchase all my hobby supplies from the USA, and insist upon USPS.  It might take a couple of days longer, but it only costs me the appropriate GST at the door or at the counter.
Post Reply Post Reply
mesenteria,

Thanks that is what I was asking.

LOL at "...my hobby supplies...".
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried to buy a cpap machine from a US supplier. They wouldn't honour the prescription I had.

The cost is radically cheaper than I was used to in Canada. Better.

DaveL
Toronto
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, is that a 9000 in your photo avatar?
Post Reply Post Reply
DaveL,

I am surprised. Fifteen plus years ago, you could get an autoset cpap with cpap Rx from the USA.

I had no issues buying a Respironics machine with the SmartCard (credit card) reader and EncorePro CD and all the manuals.

I got the Resporonics because at the time Resmed was a fan of patients having access to the machine settings and data.

I know someone with an ResMed Airsense 10 auto bought from a DME. It was set as CPAP and NO SD card in it. "It is Kept at the DME"
Post Reply Post Reply
My AS11 came from a DME without an SD card so I just purchased one. Technically, I was supposed to leave the settings as they had them (sleep doc prescribed 5-15cmw). I was about to throw my machine out the window before I found this place and adjusted settings on my own.
The DME and sleep doc *could* access my machine through the cell signal/program, see current settings and change them, but they haven't so far nor do I see them taking the time to.
Post Reply Post Reply
mesenteria, I'm fascinated with steam. I'm a mechanical engineer. However, that avatar came from this site.

I had a photo I took myself in Tofino. At low tide the 4 wheels of a submerged car showed. Someone learned a lesson years ago.

DaveL
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 694 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,522 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  Bleep Eclipse Canada? Dolfan 1 831 09-16-2023, 06:51 PM
Last Post: barney999
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 818 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Shipping Fees Recall Canada joblolabinette 6 802 06-22-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Canada and Philips Recall cate1898 8 1,014 06-05-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,981 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.