Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed.
RE: Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed.
Yes, the coverage for CPAP varies by province.  In BC there is only assistance for the machine if you can demonstrate low income status.
Post Reply Post Reply
My short experience has been that most of the folks here know ten times what the equipment provider outfits seem to know. I have also had them (equipment providers) tell me very misleading things that cost me money and wasted a lot of time.

The only advantage for me is due to insurance, if I had to pay out of pocket I would buy and take care of all the equipment myself and any other money spent would be for actual sleep doctor or sleep study. You can find out more than enough here to get yourself squared up.

The only advantage I have seen of the equipment provider is I can try any mask new for a month and return it with no charges.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2017, 11:22 AM)chill Wrote: Yes, the coverage for CPAP varies by province.  In BC there is only assistance for the machine if you can demonstrate low income status.

In SK if you go through the Provincial Health system they provide you with a CPAP brick in the $300 range (I guess that would be covered if you're low income), but if referred to privately owned sleep clinic/equipment provider, they'll try selling you a $2000 machine that's worth less than half of that. I've settled on buying my own machine and looking after settings myself, by learning from the fabulously helpful people here on this board. The sleep clinic tried keeping me in the dark about everything xPAP related and the doctor that is connected to their clinic is utterly disinterested I providing useful info. Fine with me, I don't need them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there

Canadian living in the UK.

I bought my machine on Amazon direct and set it up myself for £700. OK, I got the pressure wrong to start with but its about right now and I'm (slowly) getting used to it. My wife thinks it's great!
Post Reply Post Reply
This reply might be way too late but I'll post it anyway.

Not sure if I'm allowed to mention a particular site here but the race Wonder Woman belonged to has some amazing prices on CPAP equipment.
They may not ship to Canada but you can use a freight forwarding company - good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll tell you about the limitless support I received from the "DME" that was my sleep clinic.

- They didn't care *at all* about my experience/comfort. They only cared that the AHI # my machine said was below 5. So they were willing to make tweaks to get the # below 5, but not to address my concern that I was not getting enough air.

- They were *unwilling* to give/rent/sell me anything other than a base model machine (fixed CPAP) and supplies (standard hose), despite my concerns implying I would do better with an *Auto* and a heated hose. They flat out refused.

- But they provided "limitless support" in the take-my-money department.

So, yeah, I'd recommend going *anywhere else*.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm replying without reading others comments, so forgive me for probably repeating what others have already said.

DO NOT rely on them giving you back your sleep data!!!!!! Take the data card out of the DreamStation before you return it, and download the plethora of info while it's still in your hands.

I had a follow-up 3 weeks after getting my CPAP. I had downloaded and looked at all of my data, so I knew the amazing amount of data Sleepyhead shows. When I turned in my machine, my sleep "dr" plugged my card into a reader, quickly looked at my "compliance" and "AHI", and declared me a success story and sent me on my way. I saw the info on his screen... amd it wasn't even 1/10 of what Sleepyhead shows.

Get the data yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 49 Yesterday, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,523 Yesterday, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 514 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 722 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 77 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.