Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New sleep study after 17 years?
New sleep study after 17 years?
I had my initial sleep study in October 2006, followed by a titration study in November which was inconclusive as to pressure needs. The first machine I was given was a 'dumb' CPAP at 14 cm pressure. (Can you say 'aerophagia?' Good. I knew you could.) When that was a no-go, I was given a ResMed S8 autoset set at 4 - 20 cm pressure. (Never saw a sleep doctor.) Ordered the ResMed program from a shop in Australia, looked in detail at the data, and established pressures at 6.4 - 10, where they remain. I've managed my treatment with orders from two family practice physicians since.

At the end of January, my physician left the practice which has been owned by a hospital for several years. The office was not allowed to tell me whether she was still practicing or any other information. I had a first visit with a new physician this month; when I asked for order renewal for CPAP supplies / treatment, he instead sent a referral for a sleep study.

Question here is what, if anything, can be gleaned from a new sleep study as opposed to the information available from the APAP via OSCAR? I have my doubts as to the benefits of the former over against the APAP data, but am willing to be convinced. I'd appreciate any insight which can be provided here.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New sleep study after 17 years?
If it's not a requirement from your insurance for coverage, push back on that. I know Sleeprider has put together a piece about how to deal with physicians and DMEs that includes quite a bit of Medicare-specific advice if that applies to you.

I got a prescription for 99 months/lifetime need from a PA at the sleep clinic where I took my in-lab PSG three years prior with a 20-minute telehealth call. I told her I'd been trying non-CPAP options but now decided that none of them are working out for me, I am still tired all the time and want to buy a machine. She got me a prescription that I can take anywhere I want now for at least 7 more years, maybe longer if the supplier is comfortable with the "lifetime need" timeframe on it. I've had good luck with PAs and NPs lately; they often seem to take patient-driven care with a more open mind than MDs, can diagnose a wide variety of ailments, and write prescriptions for all the basics including CPAP.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New sleep study after 17 years?
Thanks. Kind of what I thought. I've gotten along fine with my previous physicians; will have to see whether this one works out. Not yet relying on Medicare, but will soon be.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 89 10 minutes ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 99 6 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 10 248 Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 195 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,506 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
Sad 7 Years of Pap Therapy and Still Utterly Fatigued. Top doctors Unhelpful kalensk 1 145 04-11-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How many years does a mask last? nnddcc 6 316 04-09-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.