Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cancel the CPAP?
Cancel the CPAP?
Hello. A CPAP machine is on the way. I often wake up suffocating and STILL struggle to breathe (hypopnea) while laying down after I wake up. A few days ago I felt like I was gonna die when I woke up suffocating 3 times in a row.

The next day, I was real careful about my position. I made sure to sleep on my side, with my head tilted up. So far its been 3 days in a row and I haven't had any problems at all.

Am I cured now? Perhaps I don't need the CPAP after all if I just make sure to be careful about the position that I sleep in. Should I cancel the CPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cancel the CPAP?
We don't know the specifics of your diagnosis or problem, but I think you should get the machine. You probably have a strong positional apnea problem, that might respond to the use of a soft cervical collar. Most people that suffer the acute obstruction of their airway by their sleeping position, also suffer from obstructive apnea and hypopnea at ALL times. Don't cancel the CPAP. There is very little doubt in my mind you still need it to supplement your current careful sleep positional therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd ditto Sleeprider's comments. Don't cancel the CPAP order. I'd recommend as well trying the collar he mentions. Although there's lots of people that benefit from this collar helping keep the head and neck positioned better, which may lower AHI (apnea events), it won't eliminate all apnea. You still need to mask up to be fully treated, but not cured. As I understand apnea, there really is no definite cure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
lol. I was half joking about cancelling.

At the very least, can the cpap be set to the lowest pressure (a pressure not likely to help much) just to see what the AHIs are with and without sleeping in a good position?

Also want to try a recording oximiter.

Real curious as to what my current status is as I didn't have a good sleep study. Slept for only 1 hour and didn't enter REM. Couldn't sleep for the titration at all.

In the 1 hour I did rest, they said I had a 31 AHI with O2 dropping to the mid 80s.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2018, 10:49 PM)Broomstick Wrote: lol. I was half joking about cancelling.

At the very least, can the cpap be set to the lowest pressure (a pressure not likely to help much) just to see what the AHIs are with and without sleeping in a good position?

Also want to try a recording oximiter.

Real curious as to what my current status is as I didn't have a good sleep study. Slept for only 1 hour and didn't enter REM. Couldn't sleep for the titration at all.

In the 1 hour I did rest, they said I had a 31 AHI with O2 dropping to the mid 80s.

IMO that answer is more or less yes it can. The problem is it cannot be set to true ZERO, 4 is the lowest setting.

Oxygen meters are discussed, but my random access memory is not working on the name that pops up almost always.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best option would be to obtain the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. It is a machine you can use to accurately and rapidly self titrate your pressure needs. This machine has full data and is much more responsive than the Philips Dreamstation in preventing apnea events rather than responding to them. If you have a choice, and you should, that is my recommendation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The lowestsetting often feels like you are suffocating. Most start about 6. It will help when you get you machine post your settings and download sleepyhead.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2018, 08:43 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The best option would be to obtain the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. It is a machine you can use to accurately and rapidly self titrate your pressure needs.  This machine has full data and is much more responsive than the Philips Dreamstation in preventing apnea events rather than responding to them.  If you have a choice, and you should, that is my recommendation.

They said that I will be getting an APAP machine. Is the Airsense 10 APAP? What do I do if they bring a different machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2018, 11:08 PM)Broomstick Wrote: They said that I will be getting an APAP machine. Is the Airsense 10 APAP? What do I do if they bring a different machine?

Refuse delivery.

The DME's literally get paid the same by insurance for the good, more expensive machines as the cheap machines with no features, so it's pretty common for them to try to make a bigger profit by giving you a lousy machine. But you can say no, especially since you have the luxury of being able to use positional therapy to help you in the mean time. If needed, you can probably get your sleep doc to prescribe the exact model, and to "dispense as written" (not sure what the exact wording has to be).
Post Reply Post Reply
Insist on the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset!!!  The AutoSet for her is also acceptable.

This machine will reveal full data down to a breath by breath view if and when needed.  And it is an APAP.
Ask if it comes with an SD card as you will need it to view the full data with Sleepyhead.  That is what gives us the ability to advise you of what is happening.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ordered an oral appliance, now don't need it. Do I have legal action to cancel it? MyronH 12 2,858 03-08-2018, 11:58 PM
Last Post: MyronH
  Does anyone know how to cancel ResMed MyAir? lala 10 5,208 04-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Last Post: lala

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.