Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cannabis shows potential in sleep apnea treatment
Cannabis shows potential in sleep apnea treatment
I was reading about sleep apnea at Wikipedia and surprised to read "Cannabis shows potential in sleep apnea" under Alternative treatments and this is the source for the information
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12071539

Functional role for cannabinoids in respiratory stability during sleep.
Carley DW, Paviovic S, Janelidze M, Radulovacki M.

Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA.
Abstract

STUDY OBJECTIVES:
Serotonin, acting in the peripheral nervous system, can exacerbate sleep-related apnea, and systemically administered serotonin antagonists reduce sleep-disordered respiration in rats and bulldogs. Because cannabinoid receptor agonists are known to inhibit the excitatory effects of serotonin on nodose ganglion cells, we examined the effects of endogenous (oleamide) and exogenous (delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol; delta9THC) cannabimimetic agents on sleep-related apnea.

DESIGN:
Sleep architecture, respiratory pattern, and apnea expression in rats were assessed by polysomnography. A repeated measures, within-subjects, fully nested crossover design was used in which each animal was recorded on exactly 12 occasions.

PARTICIPANTS:
Eleven adult male Sprague-Dawley rats were instrumented for chronic polysomnography.
INTERVENTIONS:

Animals were recorded following intraperitoneal injection of various doses of delta9THC, oleamide, and serotonin, alone and in combination.
MEASUREMENTS AND RESULTS:

Our data show that delta9THC and oleamide each stabilized respiration during all sleep stages. With delta9THC, apnea index decreased by 42% (F=2.63; p=0.04) and 58% (F=2.68; p=0.04) in NREM and REM sleep, respectively. Oleamide produced equivalent apnea suppression. This observation suggests an important role for endocannabinoids in maintaining autonomic stability during sleep. Oleamide and delta9THC blocked serotonin-induced exacerbation of sleep apnea (p<0.05 for each), suggesting that inhibitory coupling between cannabinoids and serotonin receptors in the peripheral nervous system may act on apnea expression.

CONCLUSIONS:
This study demonstrates potent suppression of sleep-related apnea by both exogenous and endogenous cannabinoids. These findings are of relevance to the pathogenesis and pharmacological treatment of sleep-related breathing disorders.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cannabis shows potential in sleep apnea treatment
Smoke 'em if you got 'em!!!!! Laugh-a-lot
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Except I think you have to smoke A Lot! Looks like a little weed boosts serotonin, you want the opposite effect. Smile See below

A Little Marijuana Helps, but Lots May Hurt
By Brandon KeimEmail Author October 24, 2007 |  10:07 am |  Categories: Brains and Behavior, Health

A moderate dose of medical marijuana can soothe your hurts, both mental and physical — but getting flat-out toasted may actually make the pain worse.

So conclude two recently-published studies, one published in The Journal of Neuroscience by McGill University researchers and the other published in Anesthesiology by researchers from the University of California. But just how strong are these findings?

In the University of California study, doctors shot capsaicin — the pepper spray compound — under the skin of 15 healthy volunteers, then got them high. After 45 minutes, those who smoked only a moderate dose said their pain was much better. Those who smoked a lot said their pain was worse (though, as the BBC so dutifully reports, "They did, however, feel "higher" than counterparts who had taken moderate doses.")

At McGill University, low doses of marijuana increased levels of serotonin — a mood-regulating neurotransmitter — in rats, but high doses made their serotonin levels plummet.

The verdict? Both studies are limited but intriguing. The University of
California study needs to be conducted on a far larger group of subjects suffering from the sort of pain — back pain, migraines — that marijuana is used to treat in real life. However, serotonin and pain thresholds have been linked. If too much marijuana actually decreases serotonin, as shown in McGill’s rats, it makes sense that pain, both physical and mental, would worsen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, well for some reason it makes me throw up so....next? Smile
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, is this something that works against central apnea, or does it work for obstructive apnea?

I'm trying to figure out how it would work against obstructive apneas, which usually get blamed on "mechanical" problems in the tissues of your airway and your muscles relaxing in your sleep. Does it somehow keep parts of your nervous system active that keep muscles active to keep your airways open?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's also no discussion of the effects of continued use of cannabis. It could be that initially the AHI goes down, but then with continued consumption of the drug, the AHI eventually returns to what it was.

I say this because the body is known to adjust to the effects of this drug. With continued use its effects fade.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I seem to recall that my cannabis use while serving in the Army always made me sleepy. But that might have been caused by the fact we only smoked it at night, while driving around Hampton Roads. Rolling laugh I doubt I had ever heard of sleep apnea back in those days.Dont-know
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 38 9 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 284 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.