Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cannot install Oscar on Windows 10
Cannot install Oscar on Windows 10
I have been using Oscar on Windows 7. Now I switched to Windows 10. I have installed Oscar again  but I am unable to create my profile to import the data from the SD card as I have always done. 

AS I click on Oscar to launch it, I no longer get the usual interface asking me to import the data ( from the SD) or telling me to create a new profile. Instead, I get message saying
QUOTE unable to write to Oscar Data Directory c:/users/my name/Documents/. Error code 5. Access is denied. Oscar must exit.. UNQUOTE. 

To begin with, I never asked to write the data to that folder  or any folder for that matter. That messages pops up automatically. 

I tried Sleepyhead, It goes in, but the graphs and data summary are no longer there. Only the overall score. . They were there until recently.

What should I do to create a profile to import the data?

Thanks

Franco
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cannot install Oscar on Windows 10
Did you upgrade Windows 7 to 10 using the upgrade tool, or did you make a fresh install of Windows 10? I'm guessing you used the upgrade tool. Not sure how that caused this confusion, but we can fix it.

Are you running any special anti-virus or other anti-malware software? If so, see if that program is blocking programs it doesn't know about from writing to disk. Record OSCAR as an exception to the blocking rules and try again.

If that doesn't help, do you still have your old OSCAR_Data directory? If so, open a command window. Then "cd c:\program files\oscar" should get you to the directory in which OSCAR is installed. Next type "oscar --datadir "c:\users\yourname\Documents\OSCAR_Data", where the quoted string is the fully-qualified path to your OSCAR data directory, wherever you have located and named it. Then press return. Please note the two hyphens before the word "datadir".

If you no longer have your old OSCAR data directory and want to start fresh, let me know and I'll ask you to do something different.

Let me know if this helps.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply
I've been able to solve the problem. I had my original Windows 7 with Oscar on an other HDD. I simply booted on that HDD. It had all the Oscar Data ( profiles, etc). I simply copied them into the new Windows 10 on the other drive. It worked. Oscar opened immediately with my profile and the Import process. 
I still cannot understand, though, why I was not requested to build a profile when I first reinstalled Oscar on Windows 10, because the situation was the same: ton Windows 7 there was no data folder because it was the first time, yet I was able to create one and to import data when I opened .  

Thanks anyway

Ittiandro
Post Reply Post Reply
By chance, did you try installing by "Run as administrator?" If so, then when you tried to use it, you weren't the owner.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello

I an getting similar messages when trying to install ver. 1.3. 

I did have Ver 1.2 installed.  When I installed 1.3 and then ran it, I immediately got the Error 5 message along with "cannot create folder".  I tried removing the OSCAR_Data folder off the hard drive, which allowed Oscar to start up and go through the routine that was initiated with the --datadir command in your previous response, but it still told me that it could not create the folder.

I have tried a variety of other solutions, which have not worked, such as:
-  Install using run as administrator
-  Run program as administrator
-  Create an empty OSCAR_Data folder, since the program says that it cannot create it
-  Run CClean to fix any possible registry issues on the PC (I did not do cookies)
-  Uninstalled and reinstalled Ver 1.3
-  Uninstalled Ver 1.3 and reinstalled Ver 1.2.  Sadly this did exactly the same thing so I cannot even get back to what I started with.
-  Uninstalled, removed everything OSACR from the registry before reinstalling.

At this stage, all I would like is to get a clean, new installation of OSCAR onto my machine.  I do not care about the data previously imported because I only did that a few days ago from SD cards that I have on hand.  Do you have any suggestions of what I might do?  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have removed OSCAR from the registry and deleted c:\program files\oscar, you have have complete eradicated OSCAR from your system. Now try renaming OSCAR_Data to something else before installing and running OSCAR. That will create as fresh an environment for OSCAR as you can get.

I think it most likely that some other program on your computer, probably a security program, is blocking OSCAR. Your security programs probably have logs of actions they have taken. Check those logs to see if one of them shows they blocked OSCAR, then add OSCAR to that program's list of allowed programs. (We recently had a report of the Acronis True Image blocking an installation effort -- not the same thing as is happening to you but interference can come from unexpected places.)

I don't recommend installing as an Administrator.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Certain antivirus software vendors use a database of acceptable programs in addition to looking for virus signatures in the code. You will have a tough time if the program you wish to install is not in that database.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As an update to the post I made above, I connected PC Matic to see if OSCAR was included in their approved database.  Here is the response I just received:
PC Matic Wrote:Thank you for contacting PC Matic Customer Service.

May we please have copies of your software, so I can get its hash/digital sig serial number, etc.
If we've not seen it, I/we can run it and get it added

Thank you

PC Matic Customer Service
Melbourne, FL
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
As an update to the post I made above, I connected PC Matic to see if OSCAR was included in their approved database.  Here is the response I just received:
PC Matic Wrote:Thank you for contacting PC Matic Customer Service.

May we please have copies of your software, so I can get its hash/digital sig serial number, etc.
If we've not seen it, I/we can run it and get it added

Thank you

PC Matic Customer Service
Melbourne, FL

I realize that this is just one AV provider, but it is a start.  Also, I have provided an MD5 checksum file that includes the checksums for all OSCAR version 1.3.0 compilations.  It also contains information on how to use it in each of the 3 major platforms.  I hope this may help someone.

.txt   Oscar1.3.0-MD5_Checksum.txt (Size: 1,004 bytes / Downloads: 4)
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Nice.. good job, Red!

Great-info
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] OSCAR v1.5.2 is Install Problems millerdq 1 183 03-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  OSCAR Windows Portable No-Install CraigKevin 17 2,563 03-14-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Ossy01
  multiple windows ? zaienk 4 361 01-17-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: zaienk
Question Failed drive, now cannot install or uninstall Oscar jmac862 8 789 01-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: SGKent
  Can't install Oscar. Ficklid22 14 1,687 11-13-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR 1.5.1 Windows 10 sleeper2460 2 812 11-01-2023, 12:29 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  wifi EzShare SD Card for Windows 11 Home Greg1582378 3 916 09-23-2023, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.