Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cannot tolerate silicone - rosacea
Cannot tolerate silicone - rosacea
Hi all,

32 years old male here. Moderate sleep apnea diganosis 18/hr.

Extreme skin reaction to silicone masks in which skin becomes bright red, blood vessels burst, pimples and extra skin growth!!!

Same reaction after trying multiple different models and different manufacturers of silicone masks.

Tried using throw away cotton barriers but they are not strong enough - the skin reacts even through the barrier.

Tried using SleepWeaver non-silicone cloth based mask but it won't work with the auto adjusting feature of my CPAP machine. The machine will not adjust properly when using this mask as confirmed by data viewed in SleepyHead.

Need advice from where to go from here. Particularly hoping to hear from someone with the rosacea/CPAP combination that I have.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cannot tolerate silicone - rosacea
Can you please post sleepyhead examples of the mask not auto adjusting.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the data:

http://imgur.com/a/5nExr

http://imgur.com/a/6qHc9

Please note it is the data in the second image which shows the machine won't adjust with SleepWeaver. Here is what I mean:

From August 2016 to December 2016 I was using the ResMed mask - you can see the max pressure ranges from 14.40 (November) up to 18.90 (September).

In February 2017 when I am using SleepWeaver you can see the max pressure drops off to 8.70. 

Max pressure jumps back up in March but that's only because I manually increased in the minimum to 14.
Post Reply Post Reply
You also have no events (no obstructives, very few hypopneas) except Clear Airways, in which the Apap will not raise pressure in response to CA's.

See my response to this in your other thread.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not talked about a lot here but you may try a good aerobic exercise program.
Some studies where the people only lost an average of 1.3 lbs during a 12 week
exercise program showed an average reduction in there AHI of from 25 to 35 %
depending on the study. But remember that was an average some people didn't
get any reduction to speak of where some people got a lot more than a 35% so
with your AHI of 18 you just might get lucky and get it low enough to not need
cpap. But in my case with an untreated AHI of 81 exercise might help me some
but not near enough to think about giving up my apap and backup apap .
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very for posting EW.

Unfortunately, in my case, the issue is in no way, shape or form weight or exercise related. I am a young age, completely healthy weight and BMI and I exercise regularly.

I suspect it is somewhat genetic/hereditary in my case as my father is also afflicted with this curse although he is of course older and he is also much heavier (he is overweight). I wish I knew for sure what the cause was.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did see one study that indicated the area of the brain controlling breathing
and speech may not be as large in those of us with sleep apnia.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a product which acts like an" invisible glove". Search for that on Google and lots of options come up.
Typically, it is used to protect the hands when working in situations where regular gloves are too cumbersome, yet there is exposure to dirt, grime, oil, etc.
Maybe take a look and see if it would be helpful to apply it to the mask.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Ihatesleep, I just thought it might help if you knew you'e not alone. I don't personally have the sensitiveity to silicone, but I have rosacia such that even strangers ask where I have been in the sun. Yep, a trip to the store, and "Wow, you must have been in the sun at training camp". I have used Mirvaso, which is temporary, and even laser zapping. I have finally resigned myself to being red, and with sensitive skin.

A silicone allergy is pretty uncommon, and it might just be contact dermatitis. If you haven't tried the Resmed Airfit P10 pilllows, I'd suggest a trial since the contact is so minimal. At least it works for me.

I commented on the therapy issues in your other thread that it's possible EPR is a problem, and with the fabric mask, the machine may interpret OA as CA and not properly increase pressure. If any silicone mask could work it's the P10. Otherwise, you need to simplify therapy and eliminate the variable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2017, 09:57 AM)ihatesleepapnea2017 Wrote: Tried using throw away cotton barriers but they are not strong enough - the skin reacts even through the barrier.

Have you tried making your own barriers, using a thicker material, like flannel, or microfiber suede? Or, you might look at the Pad-a-cheek liners.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modifying DREAMWEAR silicone nasal pillow mask xaid 2 716 07-01-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  best way to clean the silicone on mask cushions? cberistain 9 1,296 11-26-2022, 06:43 PM
Last Post: DaveCar
  [Philips Recall] Replacement device with silicone based foam mw1655 0 579 10-14-2022, 05:18 AM
Last Post: mw1655
  [News] PHILIPS FDA Update 11-12-2021 Silicone Foam Defective in DS2 Sleeprider 28 6,676 01-09-2022, 01:03 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Any solution to silicone irritation? Wizzykin 3 1,018 04-05-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  [Treatment] Can't tolerate CPAP for more than 4h mptrs 8 1,575 10-25-2020, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Silicone breakdown products b.e.wilson 9 1,392 04-26-2020, 05:37 PM
Last Post: StevesSp

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.