Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cannot wake up
Cannot wake up
Hi all,

I have had a constant pressure machine since 1997. I didn't use it much after after I had laser throat surgery I had in 2000. I just had another ( hoaky sleep study ) done this month. It is a long story, sleep study was done by a *for profit company* that sells machines for an exorbitant mark up.

So, I got a Res Med S9 Auto shipped in from 1000 miles away. I seem to be doing great. Except for one problem. No one can wake me up in the middle of the night. We had a fire a few doors down the street and no one could wake me up. Not for love or money. I was down for the count so to speak. Is this normal?

Thanks, Craig
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cannot wake up
Hi Deux123, welcome to the forum.
That is not too good, almost sleeping through a fire.
Hang in and some of our other members will be along to give you some possible answers to your problem.
All the best.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2014, 11:41 PM)Deux123 Wrote: Is this normal?
retired_guy will be here shortly telling us the definition of normal Too-funny

While back in the old house, we had faulty smoke alarm going off in the middle of night and did not wake me up
Other times, tiny noise can wake me up

Anyway Well-done and Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2014, 11:41 PM)Deux123 Wrote: So, I got a Res Med S9 Auto shipped in from 1000 miles away. I seem to be doing great. Except for one problem. No one can wake me up in the middle of the night. We had a fire a few doors down the street and no one could wake me up. Not for love or money. I was down for the count so to speak. Is this normal?

Thanks, Craig

maybe you were more sleep deprived than you thought, and you're getting caught up?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2014, 12:08 AM)zonk Wrote: retired_guy will be here shortly telling us the definition of normal Too-funny

You caught that one too! Eat-popcorn
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
maybe you were more sleep deprived than you thought, and you're getting caught up?

I will never be caught up on sleep! If only I could find a job where sleeping was required skill. I am still trying to make friends with this auto res med. It is helping. I am not coming home at lunch and napping anymore. It is just I have never ever slept so sound that I couldn't be woken up. I was just kind of worried something was going wrong with the way I was using the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Deaux,

To begin with you need to download the Sleepyhead software and see what your reports are saying. What is you AHI doing? What pressures are you using..... that sort of stuff.

Probably, most likely in fact, you are just sleeping so soundly for the first time in a long time that you are experiencing this effect. But, just on the chance that the machine is not set up quite right and you're actually getting a little o2 deprived or something, it would be good to take a look at your stats.

As to normal? What's normal? No one's actually normal. Except me of course. I'm normal. I checked with the voices again just this morning and they all agreed that I'm normal. Well, except for one... So we don't talk to him anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Deux123,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and just keep on making friends with your new machine.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I am PC challenged. I only use Macs. If it doesn't have an apple on it I toss it in the garbage can. So, no reports for me. I was doing .9 AHI. Or 0 AHI. I was told my case was mild, then I had the laser surgery and was supposedly free from apnea, then last month I had a real hoaky study done that said I was severe. It was a home sleep study kit I used last month. Funny, the one night the O2 sensor was not even on my finger and no one questioned me about it. The second night the dollar store batteries the company supplied died before 2 am and no one questioned me on that either. But now, the company claims I am sever apnea! Anyway last night I bumped into the 5.7 on AHI. LOL, it was the best sleep I have had in years!

I am thinking if I can by an o2 monitor for the resmed I might spring for one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it sounds like you're doing fine. The "professional" diagnosis sounds a tad bit suspicious. So you need to lean more on your personal experience and observations.

Sleepiness during the day? Snoring enough to keep the neighbors up? That sort of stuff.

You're feeling good and that's what counts.

Monitor your ahi and get it under 5 if you can. After running for awhile at your set pressures, you can increase them a tad to see if that improves the ahi. But just a little bit at a time.

By the way, Sleepyhead will run on macs.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 527 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Still wake up using CPAP urachan 3 339 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 294 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Low AHI - Why do I wake up? jkjsdflljkasdf9 3 416 02-05-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 496 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar Data Immediate Wake Ups - Tongue / Palate? ancheero 6 654 12-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ancheero
  Wake up feeling smothered almost? blackadder337 6 571 11-11-2023, 05:13 PM
Last Post: AlanR

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.