Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

Cannot wake up
Not being able to wake up doesn't sound normal.

It doesn't seem likely to me that CPAP would cause this problem, though. It seems to me there would need to be some other underlying cause.

How long have you been on CPAP? Maybe you've got a big "sleep debt" to catch up on, but in theory, it doesn't work that way.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
06-22-2014 12:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
diamaunt Offline

Members-b

Machine: S9 VPAP Auto 36006
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro/pilairo q
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 9-20ish
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Cannot wake up
(06-21-2014 09:40 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  
(06-21-2014 12:42 PM)Deux123 Wrote:  I am thinking if I can by an o2 monitor for the resmed I might spring for one.

Oximeters are stand-alone and have nothing to do with any particular brand of CPAP machine.

actually, though I know I'm risking getting kneecapped by disagreeing with a moderator, there *is* a oximeter that plugs into the back of resmed machines.

last I heard all the bits for it run over 1000$.
06-22-2014 01:37 AM
diamaunt Offline

Members-b

Machine: S9 VPAP Auto 36006
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro/pilairo q
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 9-20ish

Other Comments:

(06-21-2014 12:42 PM)Deux123 Wrote:  I am thinking if I can by an o2 monitor for the resmed I might spring for one.

I'd recommend a CMS50d+, or a CMS50F or a CMS50I

the D+ (plus is important) is an all in one unit that fits on your finger, and might need taping to keep in place. they can be had for around 50$ from amazon.

the F and I are wrist mounted units with a cap that fits over a fingertip, so tend to stay in place easier, though if you need a bit of tape to hold 'em on they're easier to attach. the older F units can import directly into sleepyhead, the newer F, and I units aren't (currently) compatible with Sleepyhead, but you can correlate the times from the reports you can get from them with your sleepyhead charts.

the nice thing about the I model (which I bought) from aliexpress in china for 90$ is that it's got a clock in it, and records multiple sessions, so you don't have to futz with figuring out where the o2 chart starts vs where your cpap chart starts. yes, this means the D+ E and F models don't have an internal clock, and they only remember the latest session.
06-22-2014 01:43 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(06-21-2014 08:57 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  On your graphs over the entire course of the night: Did you bump up against the max line (11) quite a bit? Especially, as Mongo points out, around the time of the "nastiness?" If so, raising the pressure to 12 may well drive your ahi down, and might allow you to sleep on your back, your side, your head, or any other part you choose. If you do raise it to 12, monitor everything for a few days before you decide to raise it any more.

Actually, I was think that raising 6 cm-H2O might help avoid clusters. I was hoping that Deux123 might deduce that from looking at the data.

In the spirit of the forum -- to be educational -- we all need to think about what's going on; understand it.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-22-2014 10:28 AM
Deux123 Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed Auto
Mask Make & Model: ResMed FF
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 6-11

Other Comments:

Well I hope I can post again! I got cut off of posting. I raised the machine to 14 max, I figured the machine can sort it out, and bumped the ER from 3 to 2 for response. My loaner I tried was set at 1 ER and 6 to 14 pressure. The machine blows the seals on my mask at 14 and wakes me up, and I always find myself on my back when I wake up! The only problem is I am so full of air today I might explode!

I am not on any meds. I seem to wake up fast when the seals blow, so I am not lost in space when I sleep. So I am able to wake up, I was just kind of freaked out when no one could when me wake. Thanks for the advice everyone.
06-22-2014 11:54 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(06-22-2014 11:54 AM)Deux123 Wrote:  The machine blows the seals on my mask at 14 and wakes me up, and I always find myself on my back when I wake up! The only problem is I am so full of air today I might explode!

When you're sleeping on your back you need a higher pressure to keep your airway inflated. But it's waking you up and making you swallow air.

You may adapt to this and it will subside on its own. Try sewing a tennis ball into the back of your night shirt to keep you from rolling over on your back.

You may need to switch to a bilevel machine to help with the air-swallowing.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-22-2014 05:55 PM
Deux123 Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed Auto
Mask Make & Model: ResMed FF
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 6-11

Other Comments:

AH .7 and AH .8 WOOOOHOOO!!! I am styling!!! I read retired guy posting about to much pressure. I cut my pressure to 11, which is / was, my original titrated pressure, and problems solved!!

Wish me luck!

I am not a morning person.
06-24-2014 10:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question CONFIRMING SLEEP/WAKE JUNK srlevine1 2 298 08-26-2016 05:47 PM
Last Post: chill
Exclaimation I wake up every hour when using CPAP Scredfox 11 3,411 07-30-2016 12:05 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  Sleep Wake Junk and insomnia 0rangebear 5 447 07-09-2016 02:49 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  I think my mask is causing eye bags when I wake up cpap4uars 14 811 06-27-2016 08:57 PM
Last Post: cpap4uars
  Wake up, arm numb. Can't breathe, AHI high Daisylouu 12 1,113 05-20-2016 08:42 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tolerate BiPap still wake up a lot and fatigued adam12 7 975 01-24-2016 01:41 PM
Last Post: vsheline
  Wake up in middle of night thinking it's time to get up. SephixT 7 1,083 12-17-2015 09:00 AM
Last Post: JimZZZ