Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cannot wake up
Cannot wake up
Not being able to wake up doesn't sound normal.

It doesn't seem likely to me that CPAP would cause this problem, though. It seems to me there would need to be some other underlying cause.

How long have you been on CPAP? Maybe you've got a big "sleep debt" to catch up on, but in theory, it doesn't work that way.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cannot wake up
(06-21-2014, 09:40 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-21-2014, 12:42 PM)Deux123 Wrote: I am thinking if I can by an o2 monitor for the resmed I might spring for one.

Oximeters are stand-alone and have nothing to do with any particular brand of CPAP machine.

actually, though I know I'm risking getting kneecapped by disagreeing with a moderator, there *is* a oximeter that plugs into the back of resmed machines.

last I heard all the bits for it run over 1000$.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2014, 12:42 PM)Deux123 Wrote: I am thinking if I can by an o2 monitor for the resmed I might spring for one.

I'd recommend a CMS50d+, or a CMS50F or a CMS50I

the D+ (plus is important) is an all in one unit that fits on your finger, and might need taping to keep in place. they can be had for around 50$ from amazon.

the F and I are wrist mounted units with a cap that fits over a fingertip, so tend to stay in place easier, though if you need a bit of tape to hold 'em on they're easier to attach. the older F units can import directly into sleepyhead, the newer F, and I units aren't (currently) compatible with Sleepyhead, but you can correlate the times from the reports you can get from them with your sleepyhead charts.

the nice thing about the I model (which I bought) from aliexpress in china for 90$ is that it's got a clock in it, and records multiple sessions, so you don't have to futz with figuring out where the o2 chart starts vs where your cpap chart starts. yes, this means the D+ E and F models don't have an internal clock, and they only remember the latest session.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2014, 08:57 PM)retired_guy Wrote: On your graphs over the entire course of the night: Did you bump up against the max line (11) quite a bit? Especially, as Mongo points out, around the time of the "nastiness?" If so, raising the pressure to 12 may well drive your ahi down, and might allow you to sleep on your back, your side, your head, or any other part you choose. If you do raise it to 12, monitor everything for a few days before you decide to raise it any more.

Actually, I was think that raising 6 cm-H2O might help avoid clusters. I was hoping that Deux123 might deduce that from looking at the data.

In the spirit of the forum -- to be educational -- we all need to think about what's going on; understand it.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I hope I can post again! I got cut off of posting. I raised the machine to 14 max, I figured the machine can sort it out, and bumped the ER from 3 to 2 for response. My loaner I tried was set at 1 ER and 6 to 14 pressure. The machine blows the seals on my mask at 14 and wakes me up, and I always find myself on my back when I wake up! The only problem is I am so full of air today I might explode!

I am not on any meds. I seem to wake up fast when the seals blow, so I am not lost in space when I sleep. So I am able to wake up, I was just kind of freaked out when no one could when me wake. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2014, 11:54 AM)Deux123 Wrote: The machine blows the seals on my mask at 14 and wakes me up, and I always find myself on my back when I wake up! The only problem is I am so full of air today I might explode!

When you're sleeping on your back you need a higher pressure to keep your airway inflated. But it's waking you up and making you swallow air.

You may adapt to this and it will subside on its own. Try sewing a tennis ball into the back of your night shirt to keep you from rolling over on your back.

You may need to switch to a bilevel machine to help with the air-swallowing.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
AH .7 and AH .8 WOOOOHOOO!!! I am styling!!! I read retired guy posting about to much pressure. I cut my pressure to 11, which is / was, my original titrated pressure, and problems solved!!

Wish me luck!
I am not a morning person.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wake up very early circa 4AM with bad headache, any help appreciated. new2paphopeful 1 145 03-30-2024, 05:48 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 594 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Still wake up using CPAP urachan 3 386 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 347 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Low AHI - Why do I wake up? jkjsdflljkasdf9 3 444 02-05-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 517 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar Data Immediate Wake Ups - Tongue / Palate? ancheero 6 682 12-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ancheero

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.