Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Unsure
Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: Unsure
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
RE: Canoe camping Cpap battery
With all due respect, the table is intended to avoid language like "expensive" and give actual costs. People need to know the numbers. I do note the table has had 22 downloads which is nice to see.

Of course things will change. But I would bet my mortgage those changes would be relative. People can look that up easily enough.

As for the table going obsolete in four months, I am not sure what that means. The technology? The relative value of each different type?

Based on comments so far, it appears LifePo4 is inspiring interest. I am wondering if I included enough info. If I understand the comments, it is the most reliable. It is also the most easily maintained. I could modify the table to reflect these additions but used up all my attachment hours.

On a personal note LifePo4+ intrigues me the most because of its potential for solar. We are seriously thinking about going totally off-grid. In my research I found many of the manufacturers were start-ups funded by various means. Hopefully investors will put more money into these companies so they can ramp up production and potentially lower costs.

On another note I will start a new thread about actually testing some alternatives, but not until I have some concrete results.
06-23-2015 09:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
GWild Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RemStar Sys1 560P
Mask Make & Model: Ultra Mirage
Humidifier: Sys1
CPAP Pressure: 8 - 20 auto / 8.9 avg
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
Advanced wet cell lead acid designs are the most reliable battery available. Period. Nearly a century of experience with them. The latest lithium designs, those of the ferrous variety seem to be up and comers; but because they need electronic parts prone to failure embedded inside them to make them reasonably easy to maintain limits their respective reliability.

Tesla's latest battery banks, 10kWh(week) and 7kWh(day), at about $3,000 to $3,500, probably use that technology. Contrast that with wet cell batteries that provide that capacity for about the one-third the money. But, I hope the volume ramps up and prices begin to fall. The lithium's may require less overall maintenance and make solar or other off-grid options more urban.
06-23-2015 04:24 PM
Mark Douglas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Sys 1 (60) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex 760P Auto Bi-Level (Variabl
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR Sys One heated
CPAP Pressure: RiseTime 3 Fxd E-9.0 / I-11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

If the discussion is now fixed off the grid installation then nothing beats an Edison cell. Can't hardly hurt them. Your grandchildren will still be able to use them.

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
06-23-2015 04:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Napmeister Online

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Elite
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed P10 Pillow mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: testing 10.2 cm
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Windows 8.1 64 bit

(06-23-2015 09:39 AM)Oldguide Wrote:  On another note I will start a new thread about actually testing some alternatives, but not until I have some concrete results.

Prices may need adjusting in a couple of years but the info is good for the long haul, new technology could be added with a few minutes work. Just a note to tell you I appreciate the time and effort you've put in and look forward to your findings. Wife is going camping in late July and I hope to get her set up for her S9 Resmed, watching this closely, thanks ....
06-23-2015 05:49 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(06-22-2015 01:14 AM)GWild Wrote:  As for trying to make a distinction between a single cell battery and a multi-cell battery ... wow. I need pop corn. In this case, it is similar to the difference between a single-cell jail and multi-cell jail. Cell is synonymous with room, partition, etc. They have dictionaries for that issue. Hint hint, nudge nudge.

First, GWild, let me tell you that I'm very impressed with the depth and breadth of your knowledge of batteries, their specs, cost, and availability.

However, and I realize I'm being entirely pedantic here, technically there is no such thing as a single cell battery. A battery is literally a "battery of cells". As far as I know you can have a single-cell jail, though.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-23-2015 09:56 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 278 22,176 10-27-2016 05:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Battery for Airplane Travel EmilySleeps 5 501 09-16-2016 02:00 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  Pilot-24 CPAP Battery System from Medistrom sonicboom 15 4,553 09-16-2016 11:07 AM
Last Post: DSchabel
  [Equipment] Camping for 7 days - AirCurve 10 ASV - battery power? Grooves McFly 21 2,759 08-31-2016 01:29 AM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell
  [Equipment] Battery usage with CPAP (S7 and A10) MrGadget 10 760 08-26-2016 06:24 AM
Last Post: Bhante
  Camping and Travel 0rangebear 12 1,347 07-19-2016 01:15 PM
Last Post: MrGadget
  [CPAP] Battery powered unit for motorcycle camping David Petersen 9 3,741 07-19-2016 12:55 PM
Last Post: MrGadget