Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Canoe camping Cpap battery
With all due respect, the table is intended to avoid language like "expensive" and give actual costs. People need to know the numbers. I do note the table has had 22 downloads which is nice to see.

Of course things will change. But I would bet my mortgage those changes would be relative. People can look that up easily enough.

As for the table going obsolete in four months, I am not sure what that means. The technology? The relative value of each different type?

Based on comments so far, it appears LifePo4 is inspiring interest. I am wondering if I included enough info. If I understand the comments, it is the most reliable. It is also the most easily maintained. I could modify the table to reflect these additions but used up all my attachment hours.

On a personal note LifePo4+ intrigues me the most because of its potential for solar. We are seriously thinking about going totally off-grid. In my research I found many of the manufacturers were start-ups funded by various means. Hopefully investors will put more money into these companies so they can ramp up production and potentially lower costs.

On another note I will start a new thread about actually testing some alternatives, but not until I have some concrete results.

Advanced wet cell lead acid designs are the most reliable battery available. Period. Nearly a century of experience with them. The latest lithium designs, those of the ferrous variety seem to be up and comers; but because they need electronic parts prone to failure embedded inside them to make them reasonably easy to maintain limits their respective reliability.

Tesla's latest battery banks, 10kWh(week) and 7kWh(day), at about $3,000 to $3,500, probably use that technology. Contrast that with wet cell batteries that provide that capacity for about the one-third the money. But, I hope the volume ramps up and prices begin to fall. The lithium's may require less overall maintenance and make solar or other off-grid options more urban.
If the discussion is now fixed off the grid installation then nothing beats an Edison cell. Can't hardly hurt them. Your grandchildren will still be able to use them.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)

(06-23-2015, 09:39 AM)Oldguide Wrote: On another note I will start a new thread about actually testing some alternatives, but not until I have some concrete results.

Prices may need adjusting in a couple of years but the info is good for the long haul, new technology could be added with a few minutes work. Just a note to tell you I appreciate the time and effort you've put in and look forward to your findings. Wife is going camping in late July and I hope to get her set up for her S9 Resmed, watching this closely, thanks ....
(06-22-2015, 01:14 AM)GWild Wrote: As for trying to make a distinction between a single cell battery and a multi-cell battery ... wow. I need pop corn. In this case, it is similar to the difference between a single-cell jail and multi-cell jail. Cell is synonymous with room, partition, etc. They have dictionaries for that issue. Hint hint, nudge nudge.

First, GWild, let me tell you that I'm very impressed with the depth and breadth of your knowledge of batteries, their specs, cost, and availability.

However, and I realize I'm being entirely pedantic here, technically there is no such thing as a single cell battery. A battery is literally a "battery of cells". As far as I know you can have a single-cell jail, though.
Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  newbie battery question- time sensitive Dogwood1447 14 386 01-18-2017, 07:06 AM
Last Post: pc1955
  Battery Back up for Airsense 10 Matzaball2016 6 394 12-23-2016, 05:45 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
Question [CPAP] Off-grid power supply for camping/hiking? LokoLobo 2 275 12-21-2016, 09:29 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 278 23,873 10-27-2016, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Battery for Airplane Travel EmilySleeps 5 627 09-16-2016, 02:00 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  Pilot-24 CPAP Battery System from Medistrom sonicboom 15 4,916 09-16-2016, 11:07 AM
Last Post: DSchabel
  [Equipment] Camping for 7 days - AirCurve 10 ASV - battery power? Grooves McFly 21 3,154 08-31-2016, 01:29 AM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell