Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Canoe camping Cpap battery
RE: Canoe camping Cpap battery
If you figure one amp of current to run the blower motor, then a 8 amp-hour battery will get you 8 hours of sleep. But that's assuming no losses due to an inverter or a heater for either the humidifier or the hose. I would double that to 16 amp-hours per night, just to be safe. But either way figure that 18 amp-hour battery will get you one or two nights. Having the solar charger should keep it charged for you. I would test it all before the trip. Nothing like losing a night's sleep to ruin what was supposed to be a fun time.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2015, 12:09 AM)Sleepster Wrote: If you figure one amp of current to run the blower motor, then a 8 amp-hour battery will get you 8 hours of sleep. But that's assuming no losses due to an inverter or a heater for either the humidifier or the hose. I would double that to 16 amp-hours per night, just to be safe. But either way figure that 18 amp-hour battery will get you one or two nights. Having the solar charger should keep it charged for you. I would test it all before the trip. Nothing like losing a night's sleep to ruin what was supposed to be a fun time.

Depending on battery technology more like an 8 amp battery will get you 4-5 hrs sleep w/o drastically shortening it's life so I agree double the desired amp/hrs per night.

I don't know if this will pass the link restrictions but if you search for the 12volt side of life you will find a wealth of information that may be useful.

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2015, 09:30 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote:
(06-21-2015, 12:09 AM)Sleepster Wrote: If you figure one amp of current to run the blower motor, then a 8 amp-hour battery will get you 8 hours of sleep. But that's assuming no losses due to an inverter or a heater for either the humidifier or the hose. I would double that to 16 amp-hours per night, just to be safe. But either way figure that 18 amp-hour battery will get you one or two nights. Having the solar charger should keep it charged for you. I would test it all before the trip. Nothing like losing a night's sleep to ruin what was supposed to be a fun time.

Depending on battery technology chemistry more like an 8 amp battery will get you 4-5 hrs sleep w/o drastically shortening it's life so I agree double the desired amp/hrs per night.

I don't know if this will pass the link restrictions but if you search for the 12volt side of life you will find a wealth of information that may be useful.

Fixed it for you.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Had I said cell technology you would have been correct.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2015, 11:23 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Had I said cell technology you would have been correct.

Report to general Pawlikowski NLT 0800 22JUN2015 for reassignment.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ooohh, an argument about the difference between a cell and a battery. I just can't resist this one!

A battery consists of cells in series. Put a copper wire and zinc nail in a lemon and you've got a cell. Connect two or more of them in series and you have a battery.

So AAA, AA, C, and D are cells, not batteries. As in the phrase "flashlight cell".

A car battery consists of six cells. The voltage across each cell is about 2 V, so placing six of them in series gives you a voltage across the battery of about 12 V. A 9-volt battery consists of six cells, where the voltage across each cell is about 1.5 V.

As far as I know (I'm not a chemist) the voltage across a cell depends solely on the chemistry. So for the lemon cell it's the chemistry of copper, zinc, and the citric acid or whatever is in the lemon. Cell or battery technology encompasses not only the chemistry of the cell, but other factors such as the shape of the electrodes or the material used to suspend the acid. It's these factors that determine things like the energy or charge capacity of the cell or battery, which helps determine how long it will last. The charge is measured in amp-hours and is not the same thing as the voltage.

Ok, this is the end of our first lecture. Next time there will be a quiz so study hard.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
/* As far as I know (I'm not a chemist) the voltage across a cell depends solely on the chemistry. So for the lemon cell it's the chemistry of copper, zinc, and the citric acid or whatever is in the lemon. Cell or battery technology encompasses not only the chemistry of the cell, but other factors such as the shape of the electrodes or the material used to suspend the acid. It's these factors that determine things like the energy or charge capacity of the cell or battery, which helps determine how long it will last. The charge is measured in amp-hours and is not the same thing as the voltage. */

I am a retired marine chemist and school teacher. Very good lecture! Wink

Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
Too funny - arguing over chemistry or technology... for example:

How many 'experts' here - without looking it up - can explain why lead antimony is better than lead calcium ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually a battery is just a pile.
(Or a collection of artillery)

If there are cells, are there half cells?
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=1553]Attached is a first crack at a spreadsheet that lists alternatives for CPAP camping. The list is not intended to be totally inclusive, but takes the various types of battery suggested by different folks and provides examples. I created two columns. Being a numbers person I was curious about the cost per amp hour of different devices. Nothing new here in terms of what is known, but the differences are more dramatic than I had thought. The other column just highlights if the device has been tested for CPAP. This was based on whether there was a post somewhere from someone who had used the device successfully.

As we all know different manufacturers' machines have different requirements. This table is based on 12v machines which seem to be the most common. As Starr and I found out--and as long time users of this board know--we also have different CPAP requirements. The "successful" users I found tended to not have extreme requirements in terms of pressures, etc. As I believe Sleepster noted, the higher your pressure the more power you will consume. Finally, all were based on going without the humidifier.

As they say on TV, consult your doctor if you are planning a wilderness trip.

As one who has spent much of his life in the woods, I wanted to do something that will allow others to enjoy such experiences if at all possible.

Please add comments, corrections, etc.

MANY thanks to all the folks who contributed to this project. I just put your ideas into spreadsheet form.

Being a newbie I am not sure if I have done the attachment right. Seemed to make the most sense as a jpg image.

Take care

.jpg image.jpg (175.34 KB)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 156 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 291 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,717 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,011 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 695 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 275 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,560 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.