Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cant breathe with my new apap machine
RE: Cant breathe with my new apap machine
Way to go! I have a partially stuffed nose all day--continually blowing it. I'm allergic to the nasel sprays like Flonase and most others so I have to live with it. From the first day on CPAP I used the Sinus Rinse--hate it since it takes a little time at night but keeps my nose clear. In four months I've only gotten plugged up twice. I also used Mentholatum right after the rinse when I had a cold to keep things going until my humidified air started. I originally had a 20 minute ramp set at 5 I think--I was on straight pressure 11. I couldn't breathe--turned it off right away. My DME changed my Flex (EPR) setting to 3 from 2 and I was fine. I've played around with the Flex setting--currently at 2
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2016, 11:29 PM)ezdrifler Wrote: GUYS !! IM SO HAPPY!! I SLEPT GOOD FOR 2.5 HOURS IN A NAP!!

I finally got a hold of the kaiser sleep clinic, They recommended i increase the humidifier setting from the original factory default.

I learned about preheating so i did and cranked it up to 5

My nose was clear the whole time and my AHI dropped from 12.50 to 1.78

YEYYYY!!!!

That's awesome. So happy for you!

Post Reply Post Reply
Use of the humidifier preheat function is often overlooked when dealing with stuffiness problems. That's unfortunate since it can be the answer in many cases. It can take in excess of an hour for the water in a humidifier to reach the proper temperature for humidifying at the set rate but with preheating it can be there from the very start of mask-up.

As a shortcut, for when I forget to turn the preheat on soon enough, I preheat the water in my microwave oven - 2 cups of water in a pyrex measuring cup heated on high setting for 30 seconds does the trick.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.