Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Carb craving, diabetes and apnea/CPAP
RE: Carb craving, diabetes and apnea/CPAP
(07-12-2017, 11:13 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I think it is a crying shame when someone such as your daughter who knows that LCHF works, is prevented from offering that way of eating as a first choice in controlling diabetes.  I have to talk "off the record" to my doctor when I want information about Paleo eating.  When I asked my Endocrinologist for advice on losing weight while using insulin, he laughed and told me to starve myself.
If I left you with the impression that she is fully on board with LCHF she is not. She wouldn't recommend it if she was allowed to.

ajack Wrote:The hardest part is overcoming the low fat dogma for the last 40 years.
Damn straight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2017, 09:56 AM)DavePaulson Wrote:
(07-12-2017, 11:13 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I think it is a crying shame when someone such as your daughter who knows that LCHF works, is prevented from offering that way of eating as a first choice in controlling diabetes.  I have to talk "off the record" to my doctor when I want information about Paleo eating.  When I asked my Endocrinologist for advice on losing weight while using insulin, he laughed and told me to starve myself.
If I left you with the impression that she is fully on board with LCHF she is not. She wouldn't recommend it if she was allowed to.

ajack Wrote:The hardest part is overcoming the low fat dogma for the last 40 years.
Damn straight.

Dave - If your daughter was diabetic, she might change her position on LCHF.  The CDE that I used to see also was NOT in favor of LCHF, but then again she was not diabetic.  She didn't have to deal with insulin, finger sticks, injections etc. on a 24x7 basis.  I find it ironic that many healthcare professionals who are trained to 'educate' those of us with diabetes don't really know diddly about how to manage it despite all their book learning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tess: at age 66, you need to get your HgA1c to 6% or less. If you were 78, a higher level would be OK. Diabetic complications are long term effects. You have many more years that you will wish to avoid complications. More Metformin may help. 2000 mg per day is the max dose. Ask your doc.

Try to avoid insulin injections as it will put weight on most people.

I am not a doctor; and I am not prescribing. That said, look into Victoza. A pen injectable that causes the body to increase natural insulin production; but only when blood sugar is high. It also squelches hunger. The big drawback is cost.

Your type 2 DM is probably a matter insulin resistance.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You can have ice cream a few times a week and LIMITED bread daily, maybe, but you are being UNDERTREATED. No way should you accept 7.0 A1C as treated. At your age, 6.5 or under is the goal unless you have other major medical complications.

My suggestion is to limit your carbs to under 100 grams/carbs per day and see how that goes. A lot of people can't commit to under 40 gr/day for more than a week or so, so I'm not going to suggest it (although it would be VERY helpful for you). Once you restrict carbs for a few weeks, you will usually find that you can have more now and then but the craving will go away.

I can't get my head around why your doc would only prescribe 500 mg. metformin. The minimum dosage is typically 1000 mg. unless you are pre-diabetic, which you are not. Maybe you need a different doctor who actually has more intensive diabetes training. If you feel motivated to do a lot more, send me a pm and I can send you some links that can help. No matter what, you need to do some walking unless you are physically unable to do so. 10 minutes, 3X a day is better than nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Tess:  Don't give up.  I believe it took me a good 6 months on cpap before I started losing that 'tired' feeling.  As a side note - Once I began to lose that tired feeling, I felt better about trying to control my diabetes.  It isn't easy, but you can do it.

As you are finding out, most T2 using insulin, will only put on more weight on a high carb diet. You really don't need to starve yourself to get off insulin, a lot of people find it is as simple as no sugars, no starches. lots of low carb veg, a bit more protein and add natural fats

Watch the last 20 minutes of this video. It will reduce the amount of insulin or not need it anymore. T2 is a disease of insulin resistance, even though T2's have more insulin in their system than a normal person, they still can't make enough. Cutting the sugars and starches will help fix this.

video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgMizC6s...Cjnly3J7LB  

google
the new atkins induction diet, that is 20g a day
also get Bernstein's book diabetes solutions, he uses 30g

join the diabetes forum, diabetesdaily.com
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
My A1C came back at over 10 and my doctor prescribed synjardy. My next test 2 months later was 5.9 and I've since cut my meds in half and am maintaining stable low blood sugar. I went to a low carb diet (20g net carbs or less a day) the day I got the 10+ results.

I wouldn't take your diagnosis lightly, diabetes impacts nearly everything and potential of vision loss, amputation, etc are very real. I experience very little hunger on the diet, and while some people tout it as a "eat all the fat" diet, you don't have to (and shouldn't if you need to lose weight). You can still enjoy treats (halo top ice cream is relatively low carb and tastes decent). I've lost a good bit of weight with minimal effort. It is worth a try for a few weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Sleep Apnea, CPAP, and rough early mornings middleraven 4 386 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: middleraven
  Sleep apnea monitors without cPAP LVH115 14 957 01-17-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 580 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  CPAP sticks on higher pressure after Obstructive Apnea event AlanR 3 461 11-12-2023, 12:19 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] Mild Sleep Apnea on CPAP--Still Tired brianbear 10 1,214 09-12-2023, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  Using a CPAP to check sleep apnea Pierrec83 2 399 09-09-2023, 01:34 AM
Last Post: jwest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.