Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Carbon monoxide and deep cycle batteries (during charging.) A question.
RE: Carbon monoxide and deep cycle batteries (during charging.) A question.
Lead acid (car type batteries, SLA, AGM, Gel Cells, deep cycle batteries, marine batteries) do NOT emit carbon monoxide.

Well, not unless you're running the car in the garage or the house to charge it. Or using a generator in the house, garage, or too close to the house.

All lead acid batteries emit some hydrogen if you charge them wrong. (INCLUDING sealed lead acid batteries, AGM, Gel Cells, etc.)

However, you can't really get hydrogen very fast out of any setup you're likely to use at home.

The most hydrogen you can make with one amp into a car battery is .008 ounce per hour. If you had a 100 amp charger, it would probably melt the battery, but it would only produce about 0.8 ounces of hydrogen per hour.

Unless you have a tightly closed up room, 1 ounce of hydrogen per hour is probably going to dissipate before it can burn or explode in the room.

You can build up hydrogen in the air space inside the battery, which can go bang under some conditions.

You have to have about 4% hydrogen concentration in the air to become explosive.

Hydrogen is not toxic to humans unless you get the concentration so high it blocks out oxygen. For that matter, when your battery is generating hydrogen, it's also making oxygen, so you probably couldn't smother anyway.

In order to produce 2 ounces of hydrogen, you have to consume 18 ounces of water. That's a whole pint of water. If your charger is making hydrogen that fast, you'll be out of water really quickly.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 05:46 PM)AlanE Wrote: If you had a car battery like I did, discharged with heavy-sulfated plates, and you nail it with a 45 amp charger the ensuing hydrogen out gas is a sight to behold. Cool

I suspect you're seeing the water boiling, not electrolyzing. a 45 amp charger can only generate about 0.4 ounces of hydrogen in an hour. Although, it will generate about 3.2 ounces of oxygen per hour.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 10:46 PM)archangle Wrote: I suspect you're seeing the water boiling, not electrolyzing. a 45 amp charger can only generate about 0.4 ounces of hydrogen in an hour. Although, it will generate about 3.2 ounces of oxygen per hour.
Could be though I wasn't about to go investigate. Smile
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Angry Former CPAP supplier over charging Bwanajohn51 2 169 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 585 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Importance of Spont Cycle % SingleH 10 638 01-14-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  reading oscar data- deep sleep nachumj 6 819 10-10-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] What are these deep breaths and holds? phr00t 8 1,336 07-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Xeros
Video Little deep sleep based on sleep cycle Mouchet 3 1,395 04-02-2023, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.