Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Carrie Fisher died from 'sleep apnea and other causes'
Autopsy reveals Star Wars actress Carrie Fisher died from sleep apnoea
OFFICIALS say actress Carrie Fisher died from sleep apnoea and a combination of other factors, but they could not conclusively determine what caused her death.
Los Angeles coroner’s officials said in a news release late Friday that Fisher had build-up of fat in the walls of her arteries.
The release states that Fisher had taken multiple drugs prior to her death, but that investigators could not determine whether they contributed to her death on December 27 at the age of 60.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Autopsy reveals Star Wars actress Carrie Fisher died from sleep apnoea
How does saying she died of SA then saying they cannot conclusively determine the cause of death make sense?
Post Reply Post Reply
More than one reason contributed to her death. This article doesn't state whether she treated her apnea or not.

ENTERTAINMENT 06/16/2017 10:27 pm ET
Coroner Reveals Details Of Carrie Fisher’s Death
The manner of death remains “undetermined.”
By Carla Herreria

Actress Carrie Fisher, best known for her role in the original “Star Wars” trilogy, died from a combination of factors that included sleep apnea, the Los Angeles Coroner’s Office said in a statement Friday.

Fisher, 60, had fatty buildup in the walls of her arteries and had taken multiple drugs before her death, the statement said. Officials were unable to conclusively determine the exact cause of her death, according to The Associated Press. The manner of death would be listed as “undetermined,” the coroner’s office said.

The coroner’s office did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for further details.

Sleep apnea is a disorder in which breathing pauses for up to several minutes during sleep, according to the National Institutes of Health. Untreated, it can increase the risk of high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, obesity and diabetes. Fisher had a history of drug addiction and a heart condition.

Fisher was stricken by a cardiac medical emergency during a flight from London to Los Angeles in December. The actress was hospitalized after landing and died less than a week later, on Dec. 27. Her mother, the actress Debbie Reynolds, died from a stroke the following day.

Fisher rose to fame at age 20 after playing the original Princess Leia in the “Star Wars” film, “A New Hope.” She kept the role as the series continued in the early ‘80s. She most recently appeared in the franchise as Gen. Leia Organa in “The Force Awakens,” released in 2015.

She was vocal about her history with bipolar disorder and drug addiction, which she detailed in a memoir and one-woman stage show, both titled, Wishful Drinking.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Carrie Fisher
After reading about Carrie Fisher this morning and her death attributed partially to sleep apnea has made very grateful that I am treating my illness.Thank you to all of you that have helped me get adapted and using a machine that will save my life.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to admit that all the reports I've seen covering this news leaves me with more questions than answers. 

No info is provided on how it was established that Fisher had OSA, whether she was treating her OSA or not, and what specifically in the autopsy pointed to OSA rather than the 16 cans of Coca Cola she apparently drank per day, or her being a long term smoker, also she'd  used many "illegal" drugs for many years, and she'd also probably been on a cocktail of psychiatric drugs with various health consequences and side effects.

So why OSA in particular? More info is needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2017, 11:54 AM)Timur Wrote: I have to admit that all the reports I've seen covering this news leaves me with more questions than answers. 

No info is provided on how it was established that Fisher had OSA, whether she was treating her OSA or not, and what specifically in the autopsy pointed to OSA rather than the 16 cans of Coca Cola she apparently drank per day, or her being a long term smoker, also she'd  used many "illegal" drugs for many years, and she'd also probably been on a cocktail of psychiatric drugs with various health consequences and side effects.

So why OSA in particular? More info is needed.

I totally agree.  This woman had so many dangerous habits over the years.  Hard to believe they could contribute her death to sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Carrie Fisher died from 'sleep apnea and other causes'
Her death certificate said in January that the 60-year-old, best known for her role as Princess Leia, had suffered a cardiac arrest.
But in a statement the LA coroner said the exact cause was unknown.
Sleep apnoea is a common condition in which a person stops breathing during sleep, either for a few seconds or minutes.
As well as listing sleep apnoea as a cause of death, the coroner's statement cited other factors, including heart disease and drug use
BBC News, US and Canada 17 June 2017 ...  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40311159

What is sleep apnea ... are you holding your breath in your sleep? 
Sleep apnoea - a serious condition that can lead to constantly interrupted sleep and substantial weight gain. Most of those suffering don't realise they have it. Video ... http://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine-3905...your-sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Carrie Fisher died from 'sleep apnea and other causes'
Hopefully this will re-establish further interest on the topic of Sleep Apnea, prompting more to seek help or continue therapy.  When I told my recent sleep doc I know at least 4 or 5 people who were previously diagnosed or likely have it, but do nothing, he stated almost every patient tells him the same thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I must say the news-flash coming over the radio yesterday that included the possible role of sleep apnea caused a look of horror to come over my 12-year-old son's face. We were in the car heading home from his water polo practice and were both feeling in good spirits, til then.

While he's not a kid prone to panic, I did feel the need to speak at length about the whole circumstances of Carrie Fisher's death, and to explain why I unfailingly wear my mask every night (no matter how dorky it might look).

I want to be around for my family.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Saying she died of Sleep Apnea while at the same time saying her arteries were clogged with fat, is like saying Jayne Mansfield died of blood loss after her head was crushed. Or Elvis died of obesity oh, and there were drugs in his system.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fisher and Paykel Solo Columbiabill 29 3,615 03-15-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: Vako
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 194 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 455 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,831 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,457 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.