Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Catathrenia: a different kind of sleep disorder treated with xPAP
Catathrenia: a different kind of sleep disorder treated with xPAP
I another thread, I got to looking at trauma and sleep disordered breathing. In the process, I came across a sleep disorder that may or may not generate apneas, but is generally treated with xPAP.

You might Google under catathrenia. Note: there is not necessarily a vocalization in catathrenia, but it is frequently a symptom.

Some features in the catathrenia constellation:

Folks who have this disorder have small and crowded mouths. They have UARS. Mini apneas <10 seconds, so they don't qualify as apneas. Not significant O2 desat. Doesn't sound like a snore. Bradypnea (slow breathing). Chronically tired.

Comments appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Catathrenia: a different kind of sleep disorder treated with xPAP
The Wikipedia article has some more information. Not fun, but not horrible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catathrenia

Most of us eventually suffer from one malady or another. It's part of the aging process.

Pete Townsend said, many decades ago, "I hope I die before I get old". But IMO he was quite wrong about that. I've got my share of problems, but I'm happy to keep living and I'm happy at how much CPAP has improved the quality of my life.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Catathrenia: a different kind of sleep disorder treated with xPAP
Interesting find!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 134 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 221 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  One machine says I'm treated, another suggests I'm not shawsg 5 224 03-10-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 251 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What kind of breathing is this? sprinter 3 436 01-05-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,410 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Luna 2 solfware. Heres where to go . (kind of like oscar watertrails 4 2,003 09-22-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: rubbercow

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.