Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Catch 22
Catch 22
I initially posted this on the wrong thread .

I was diagnosed with chronic sleep apnea .After trying 6 different masks I still am suffering plus I now was diagnosed with Stage 2 Pressure Ulcer of the nose .Stages 3 and 4 can be fatal.
Somebody suggested the SleepWeaver Anew but the owner of a DME company in my area said that he no longer dispenses or sells it because it is a terrible product.
For the past 4 weeks I have not used anything .I've tried the basal cannular as well.
I do not know what to do at this point .
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Catch 22
Hi Bagel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having a rough time using your CPAP machine because of complications but hang in there for suggestions.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Finding the right mask is by far the hardest problem most people starting PAP therapy have.

If you could list the masks with sizes that you've tried someone may have a suggestion other than those that you might possibly be able to use.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, Bagel,

What Bama Rambler said.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2014, 02:56 PM)Bama Rambler Wrote: Finding the right mask is by far the hardest problem most people starting PAP therapy have.

If you could list the masks with sizes that you've tried someone may have a suggestion other than those that you might possibly be able to use.

1)Fisher Paykyl full face mask

2)Phillips Wisp Mask

3)Resmed Mirage Liberty

4)ResMed Quattro Air

5)Phillips Respiro

6)Nasal Cannula
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2014, 02:30 PM)Bagel Wrote: Somebody suggested the SleepWeaver Anew but the owner of a DME company in my area said that he no longer dispenses or sells it because it is a terrible product.

The Sleepweaver masks work very well for some people, but they are love-it-or-hate-it. Undoubtedly, the DME owner has had a lot of returns. I haven't tried the Anew, but I've found the élan very comfortable. However, the headgear is tricky to adjust, and very small adjustments make a huge difference. I'm unable to adjust it in the dark, unlike the other masks I've tried.

I would wear the élan more often, but I've found that it gets knocked out of position easily. I've had this same problem with every mask I've tried except the Mirage Activa, which practically sticks to your face like it's bolted on. I doubt most other people have that same problem. I believe it's because I'm an active sleeper, just the sort of person that the Mirage Activa was designed for. The élan is more comfortable than the Activa.

If you can't get the Anew locally, it may be worthwhile to order one of them from one of the online suppliers, with mask insurance in case you need to return it. You would need to check with your insurance company to find out their policy for reimbursement of out-of-network purchases, since the online suppliers don't process insurance billing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2014, 02:30 PM)Bagel Wrote: I initially posted this on the wrong thread .

I was diagnosed with chronic sleep apnea .After trying 6 different masks I still am suffering plus I now was diagnosed with Stage 2 Pressure Ulcer of the nose .Stages 3 and 4 can be fatal.
Somebody suggested the SleepWeaver Anew but the owner of a DME company in my area said that he no longer dispenses or sells it because it is a terrible product.
For the past 4 weeks I have not used anything .I've tried the basal cannular as well.

G'day Bagel, welcome to the forum. Masks are the hardest thing about CPAP treatment. If the mask isn't right then everything else counts for naught. Unfortunately every face is different - thin or round, big mouth or small, big nose or small, beard or clean shaven. All these differences make it really hard to find the "right" mask.

Apart from the ulcer on your nose, what other problems have you experienced? eg have you had leaks or soreness from the headgear etc? A lot of people have trouble by having the headgear too tight. This can cause pressure sores and headaches - but it can also make the mask leak. The main thing is to have it comfortably firm with even pressure on all straps.

Have you tried any sort of padding for your nose? A lot of people use a Band-aid. I use a Pad-a-cheek liner which has a piece of soft felt to cushion the nose - no more redness or sores.

Another thing that comes to mind is that a lot of masks (maybe all of them?) come in different sizes. A larger or smaller version of one of the masks you've already tried might do the trick,

And finally - have you tried nasal cushions? These plug into your nostrils so there is no pressure on the bridge of your nose. I can't stand them myself, but a lot of people swear by them.

I hope some of these suggestions are useful for you. It's not easy getting a mask which works well, but it's still better than waking up dead!
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to give more details about your nose issues, but presuming you just can use anything in or on your nose a possible choice becomes:

Fisher & Paykel Oracle HC452 Oral Mask

This mask is a tough one to use (by me) but I managed it after a couple of nights, and some people swear by it.

The key is this is an ORAL only mask.

For you it might be the only viable choice.

Note this caveat: You must be able to CLOSE OFF your NOSE, which either means some sort of plugs or clip (swimmer's clip might be one of the better choices.) It comes with some plugs but I really don't think they work that well.

Some people do LEARN to close off their nasal airway and breath through their mouth only but that is far from a guaranteed method unless you have tried it.

Another possible is the Innomed Hybrid FFM -- it is basically a "nasal pillow mask" combined with an "oral mask" (hybrid), and if you needed to you COULD remove the pillows and block off their holes with tape or silicon cement to convert it to pure oral.

I am not familiar with all of the masks you list by name, but another idea if you haven't tried it is a TRUE "Full Face Mask" -- one that doesn't touch your nose, but rather covers you mouth, nose, and eyes.

(Truthfully the industry has misnamed ORAL-NASAL masks FFMs, and leaves us no term for a true FFM. Such a true FFM will cover the full face much like the mask used by firefighters when entering smoke filled areas.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2014, 04:46 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(04-07-2014, 02:30 PM)Bagel Wrote: I initially posted this on the wrong thread .

G'day Bagel, welcome to the forum. Masks are the hardest thing about CPAP treatment. If the mask isn't right then everything else counts for naught. Unfortunately every face is different - thin or round, big mouth or small, big nose or small, beard or clean shaven. All these differences make it really hard to find the "right" mask.

Apart from the ulcer on your nose, what other problems have you experienced? eg have you had leaks or soreness from the headgear etc? A lot of people have trouble by having the headgear too tight. This can cause pressure sores and headaches - but it can also make the mask leak. The main thing is to have it comfortably firm with even pressure on all straps.

Have you tried any sort of padding for your nose? A lot of people use a Band-aid. I use a Pad-a-cheek liner which has a piece of soft felt to cushion the nose - no more redness or sores.

Another thing that comes to mind is that a lot of masks (maybe all of them?) come in different sizes. A larger or smaller version of one of the masks you've already tried might do the trick,

And finally - have you tried nasal cushions? These plug into your nostrils so there is no pressure on the bridge of your nose. I can't stand them myself, but a lot of people swear by them.

I hope some of these suggestions are useful for you. It's not easy getting a mask which works well, but it's still better than waking up dead!

I have tried bandaids,moleskin ,duoderm ,pad a cheek and probably every other product and nothing helps.
I have 6 masks in my home including nasal cushions .
I have tried all sizes of masks .
My Pulmonary doctor feels I should buy the Sleep weaver even though it leaks .I would have to buy it because my insurance already paid for 2 masks .I would have to wait till August before I can use insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm curious what kind of leak rate you have been shooting for with your other masks?

Are you sure you're not just cranking these masks down beyond comfort striving for a 0 leak?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Machine on the way - but catch 22 WarEagle 16 2,119 07-26-2019, 07:06 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  [CPAP] A catch up post..having been around much djjwilly 1 1,903 08-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.