Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cause of AHI increase ??
Cause of AHI increase ??
In the beginning of my journey with my CPAP machine I noticed my AHI was .7 or under the majority of the time. Now every morning when I check the info on the face of the machine, I see that my AHI is almost always 1.7 - 2.5. I would appreciate any suggestions as to the possible cause for the increase. Pressure on my machine is 11-18 and most of the time, according to Sleepyhead - my pressure is about 13-15. I have experienced a dry throat quite often, so have ordered a chin strap but have not received it yet. I realize my AHI is still under 5, just a bit concerned why it keeps going up. I've lost a little bit of weight, but not enough ... so still trying.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cause of AHI increase ??
I wouldn't worry about. Probably nothing going on.
I see from your profile that you are not using software. You might gain some insight if you did use software.
SW would tell you if you're having centrals; or hitting max pressure; or...

As a type 1, you have to use insulin -- either injected or from a pump.
Insulin makes it very tough to lose weight.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Without knowing the breakdown of events and studying the details, it's impossible to speculate why the increase occurred or whether it is even important. I have fluctuations within the same range, and most of the time I couldn't point to a good reason. Also, the quality of my sleep, in terms of my energy the next day, is not directly correlated to the AHI numbers. I actually find I may feel better on days with a higher AHI if RERA events are higher with the low AHI (my PRS1 BiPAP records RERA, and respiratory event related arousals can be high, even when AHI is low).

I wouldn't get too caught up in the numbers as long as you're feeling rested. 1.7 to 2.5 is still a very good therapy efficacy. If you want to look further into what's going on, the devil may be deep in the details of the data, starting with what kind of events are causing this increase.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2015, 12:07 PM)justMongo Wrote: I wouldn't worry about. Probably nothing going on.
I see from your profile that you are not using software. You might gain some insight if you did use software.
SW would tell you if you're having centrals; or hitting max pressure; or...

As a type 1, you have to use insulin -- either injected or from a pump.
Insulin makes it very tough to lose weight.

I just today updated my profile as I do use the Sleephead software, however I am technically challenged when it comes to understanding all the data presented. Guess I need a manual for "dummies" Smile

Funny, but I didn't have nearly the trouble understanding my insulin pump that I do with my cpap machine. The pump is second nature to me, always has been. Insulin is a fat storing hormone I believe and you're right, weight loss is hard !!

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't be too disappointed , I know what you mean you think everything is going great as far keeping your AHI's under 1 then all of a sudden along comes a 2 or 3 for no real reason.
This will happen to me also but I figure as long as it's under 5 and doesn't continue to be a trend, I just don't worry about it.
In the begining it bothered me , but I realized it is a common issue, and as long as I keep doing what I should I just won't dewell on it.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
As long as you're feeling rested I wouldn't worry too much with the slight increase. Although I'm of the anylitical mind type so it would drive me nuts.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see anything too alarming Gramma,

What is the makeup of the events? How many CA's, vs OA's, vs Hypops,,,, that sort of stuff.

What is your average and 95% Pressure readings?

You're running a pretty large range which I am not a fan of, but we'd need to know what your actuals are before suggesting you change it.

But, nothing to get super worried about as far as I can see.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2015, 09:13 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I don't see anything too alarming Gramma,

What is the makeup of the events? How many CA's, vs OA's, vs Hypops,,,, that sort of stuff.

What is your average and 95% Pressure readings?

You're running a pretty large range which I am not a fan of, but we'd need to know what your actuals are before suggesting you change it.

But, nothing to get super worried about as far as I can see.

I spent a lot of time last evening reading on the forum and trying to educate myself. I saw a older post that made reference to wiki on the forum's home page about "how to change your pressure correctly." Having read the entire article I changed the settings on my machine from a minimum of 11 - maximum of 18 to a minimum of 9.8 and maximum of 16. The only other thing I changed was EPR from 3 to 2.

The information that I saw this morning is:

95% is 13.92
large leak 0.00%
CA 0.00%
Obstructive 0.26%
Unclassified Apnea 0.00%
Hypopnea 0.13

Post Reply Post Reply
Just curious - is your AHI still in that new 1.7 - 2.5 range? Or did it change some based on your new settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2015, 11:52 AM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: Just curious - is your AHI still in that new 1.7 - 2.5 range? Or did it change some based on your new settings?

The AHI for last night was 0.3 and I am assuming that it may be because of the new settings? I'm not sure about that however.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 81 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 154 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,270 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 433 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] DreaamStation Stays at virtually constant pressure; Significant AHI increase Tom Buck 6 406 01-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,216 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question [CPAP] Can a chin strap increase your AHI? Kinnu 4 684 10-28-2023, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.