Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Causes of sudden Dreamstation APAP runaway?
Surprised 
Causes of sudden Dreamstation APAP runaway?
I have been using the Philips DreamStation APAP for 4+ years and doing great.  AHI of <1 and sleeping all night.
My 90% pressure was always 10-11.

Suddenly, last week I woke up multiple times the same night due to runaway pressure.  The pressure caused my full face mask to leak around the edge (noisy) and I checked the display and it was >16 cmH2O.

I turned the unit off and then back on, but this proceeded to happen a couple times the same night.

I called both the therapist and equipment vendor.  They claim to have changed settings (but not the prescription pressures) remotely, but the problems has been happening 1-3 times every night since.

Is it likely a mask problem?  DreamStation problem?  Settings problem?  The DreamStation is 4-5 years old, but no leaks and worked great up to now.

There is no excessive mask leakage reported on the screen and none noted until the pressure was recently above 15.

Ideas on things to try?

I have an appointment to go back, but not for a couple more days.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Causes of sudden Dreamstation APAP runaway?
Something may be seen by using OSCAR Without that we can only guess.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Dreamstation auto CPAPs increase pressure for one reason more than any other; snores. They may be real, or an artifact of something that causes multiple snores (VS) to be detected. The vibration feedback can be anywhere in the circuit, like a leak or something that feeds-back to the sensor. Check Oscar. If a replacement is possible, don't get a Philips again! Anyway, it's probably just a loose connection to the humidifier, tube or mask, but look for something that is causing vibration.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hadn't used OSCAR before.

I posted Jan. 10th when there was no problems,

then Jan. 24th (two screenshots to fit it all).

The thing that stands out to me is VS2 went up drastically.

Did my mask suddenly fail?

Did a sensor in my machine fail?

Something else?
Post Reply Post Reply
As you say the snores detected by the machine have increased massively and it is increasing pressure to Ryan and resolve the issue. It is unlikely to be a mask failure. But it could be a machine issue I guess how,any hours are on the machine, are you due a replacement
Post Reply Post Reply
Mmmmm.  I don't believe I just suddenly started snoring like crazy.  My wife says she doesn't hear any snoring, but she can hear the blower whining when the pressure gets really high.  There is no audible vibration or leakage (until the mask seal finally breaks due to pressure).

I guess I will see what the RT and vendor says in a couple days.

I don't like that the pressure range is set all the way to 20, even though my 90% level before the problem started was a pretty stable ~10 cmH2O.  I am going to ask to have it lowered.
Post Reply Post Reply
The rise in pressure seems to correlate to snores and the rise in leaks.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
NorthernGuy, you should reduce the maximaum pressure yourself, and assume that if snores, real or not, are being detected, the machine will seek the highest pressure setting. Your RT will not make changes without a doctor's order, and that approach is incredibly inefficient, when you can DIY like the rest of us on the forum. I was serious that if the machine is to be replaced, get a Resmed Autoset.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. 

Thanks

I am just a little hesitant to change the pressure settings, because I don't want to be accused of causing the problem when I do finally get in to see the doctor (annually). I know all settings changes are logged and reported back (whether anyone checks or not is the question). Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
As long as the machine detects snores, real or not, it will increase pressure. You know what pressure range is effective and necessary, so set the max in that range. Nothing to worry about. If there is a malfunction, you're just mitigating it, not causing it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 364 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 562 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,411 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.