Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Air Apnea going up
Central Air Apnea going up
I am a new member to the forum and a new CPAP user for about 2 weeks. first week I used nasal pillow, that did not help that much my average AHI was 24 ( CAA-29, OA-65, HYPO-34 then changed to full face mask (AMARA VIEW) it was better the next night my AHI went down to 13.1 (CAA-58,)A-30,HYPO-24,  following night AHI was 9.7 (CAA-31, OA-7 HYPO-29) following night the was dropped from the stand to the floor but morning results were AHI-3.3 ( CAA-8, OA-!, HYPO-15) , Following night in the morning around 6.45 am I woke up with no air was going from the machine, hit the button did not come on after second time hitting it, it came on, and look at the results were AHI-4.8 usage hour was 6.52 hrs which was about right time when I woke up with no air) CAA-6,OA-2, HYPO-25), now these results can be good to start with  getting use to machine and the mask, however next night , AHI was 21.9 , CAA-111, OA-41,HYPO-27,
and last night AHI went up to 36.5, CAA-189,OA- 59, HYPO-15.
can this kind of change specially Clear Airway Apnea to go up significanly because of the falling of the machine 3 nights prior and turn off 2 days ago?
auto pressure was set to 5-12
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Air Apnea going up
At first glance you are either getting Clear Airway events because you are new to xPAP and it will settle down, or you have Complex Apnea and we NEED to take a deeper look.
To really help you we NEED to see some data.
First we need to see data from your Sleep Study or Studies. Especially anything about complex or Central Apnea. Best is a copy of it in its entirety.

Second is a look at your nightly charts. Please download SleepyHead, Organize your data (very important), then post it here. See my signature for how to.
You will not be able to post links until you have 4 posts but if you add a 'space' we will figure it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Generally, if you have complex apnea, the events are best resolved on CPAP by the use of a fixed or narrow range of pressure targeted at your needs for obstructive events. The trick is looking at the data and identifying at what pressure OA seems to be mostly mitigated, then setting the minimum and maximum pressure around that. It can also help to turn off Flex pressure relief.

The best software for this research is #Sleepyhead, which is available free. It shows the events and pressure lines so you can accurately determine the level where OA appears to be mitigated, but CA and H events begin to predominate. If you want to post some data, the links in my signature describe how to organize and post the data using an Imgur link. Until you have 4-posts, you may have to post the link with a broken URL (for example omit the HTTP or WWW prefix).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the quick reply, I will try to down load the info. I also called the company that sent the CPAP machine, they said will be receiving a call back in 24 hrs. results maybe due the falling of the machine to the floor, because these very high numbers happened after that.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the machine fell to the floor, it would not hurt to check the pressure calibration. When you turn the machine on, are there any apparent leaks around the humidifier? Do you have pressure and flow at the mask? A pressure check is very easily done using a magnehelic gauge, which your supplier should have available. If they are nearby, you could probably arrange to drop in with the machine for a quick check.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP comp. just called , they said, it might be mask leaking, they looked at the data, and they see that starting pressure supposed the be 5 but last 3 nights it was starting 7.5 and that is the average pressure I was using 7.5-8, starting with that average it was not given me the 7.5-8 when I needed, they said machine did that automatically (she said that it should be set to "off" when they delivered it) now they turned that off and set the starting pressure 5 again, I did realized that changing and I thought the doctor did that after I asked to changed to my full face mask, and those are the nights AHI went very high. I will try it tonight to see that change will help. By the way AMARA VIEW is a very good mask, light weight and very comfortable however must be careful when you side sleep, the pillow tends  to push side of the mask and leak air.
Post Reply Post Reply
They told me the machine is working fine, as I just posted to what they adjusted.

today is my first day joining to the forum and I really do appreciate all the quick responds. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2017, 08:33 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Generally, if you have complex apnea, the events are best resolved on CPAP by the use of a fixed or narrow range of pressure targeted at your needs for obstructive events.  The trick is looking at the data and identifying at what pressure OA seems to be mostly mitigated, then setting the minimum and maximum pressure around that.  It can also help to turn off Flex pressure relief.  

The best software for this research is [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url], which is available free.  It shows the events and pressure lines so you can accurately determine the level where OA appears to be mitigated, but CA and H events begin to predominate.  If you want to post some data, the links in my signature describe how to organize and post the data using an Imgur link.  Until you have 4-posts, you may have to post the link with a broken URL (for example omit the HTTP or WWW prefix).

that was making my problem worse
seeing doctor next week to push for an ASV which i understand is far better

a few , just  few, posts here seem to be anti ASV and poopoo its ability with complex apnea

all the research i have found so far says ASV is the best chance to succeed
but is not guaranteed to work for everyone

if anyone has solid info and can point to the paper they got it from i would like to see it
i tend not to believe internet gossip and whizdumb unless i can verify it independently
Post Reply Post Reply
after using the min. pressure was re-set to 5 again my AHI went down to 10.2 from 36.5- CAA 189 to 20, OA 59 to 7 ,HYPO from15 to 27. and it seemed likely that the auto pressure was setting the start pressure to average pressure was the problem. I will see tomorrow's results if it will be better. now the machine set is 5-12 and 90% pressure was 12 , could 12 be set to little higher ?. can that help further?
Post Reply Post Reply
Scott, if you could post a Sleepyhead chart, it would be helpful to correlate those events with pressure and other factors. If we find that there may be good cause to limit pressure range, we can either have you discuss this with the doctor who can inform the DME to leave your settings along, or you can remove the modem or place in Airplane mode. Either way, if there is good cause for making a decision, I will try to give you all the why and why-not so you can have an informed discussion with your caretakers. Personally, I would limit their access to the machine to a "compliance-only" basis. This is within your HIPAA patient rights.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 568 3 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 268 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.