Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apnea
Central Apnea
I am a relative newbie. I was diagnosed with mild OA a year ago, but noticed with my CPAP when we traveled to higher altitudes, I was have significant central apnea episodes (AHI went from 15 to over 40 with most as centrals) After much wrangling with my Doc and the DME, I was able to trade in my CPAP for the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. Oddly, the nightly report out I get from the machine screen does not report centrals, so I am flying blind. I have a couple of questions: does anyone else have experience with altitude-based central apnea? What software is the best for tracking this? And, I moved to a full face mask (AirFit F10) and am having a lot of trouble with small leaks that wake both my wife and I up continuously. Any suggestions? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea
My central apnea is not altitude-related but there is a prior thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ral-Apneas
Post Reply Post Reply
Can't advise on the machine but can with the mask.

Try another one. The Mirage Quattro or the Mirage Quattro FX are both good. So is the Simplus (which is what I use). If your supplier does not have a mask trial option (where you use a mask for a few weeks then get to give it back and try another), you can first try mask liners (you'll have to pay out of pocket for them but they're cheap enough). I can often get 3 nights out of one so a box can last 2-3 months.

If that doesn't work, then you'll have to try another mask and pay out of pocket or wait until your mask is due to be replaced. Then ask for another FFM. I would then suggest the Quattro FX or the Simplus.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
My Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt ASV reports only "unclassified" apneas. I suspect your Aircurve is the same. This isn't a problem - it's just a silly way of reporting what's actually happening.

The ASV algorithm intervenes continuously to support your breathing so that central apneas and Cheyne-Stokes respiration are completely suppressed. Any apneas or hypopneas which do show up (the unclassified ones) are obstructive in nature, and will respond to an increase in EPAP pressure. There used to be a good description of this on the Resmed website but I can't find it at the moment.

For software, try ResScan (as per your other thread) or SleepyHead (link at the top of this page). SleepyHead is (IMHO) a much better program for self-management, whereas ResScan is really set up for a clinic situation. However SleepyHead doesn't fully report on the Aircurve ASV data, due to changes made by Resmed when they brought out the new machines, but I know the author (JediMark) is working on this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2015, 09:48 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: The ASV algorithm intervenes continuously to support your breathing so that central apneas and Cheyne-Stokes respiration are completely suppressed. Any apneas or hypopneas which do show up (the unclassified ones) are obstructive in nature, and will respond to an increase in EPAP pressure. There used to be a good description of this on the Resmed website but I can't find it at the moment.

To verify that a reported apnea is obstructive we can look at the Flow waveform.

The Flow waveform represents the estimated rate at which air is entering or exiting our lungs.

During an obstructive apnea the Flow will be zero, even though the ASV machine responds nearly immediately alternating between higher pressure (to gently force inhalation) and lower pressure (to gently force exhalation).

--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Central544,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try another full-face mask, (FFM) to see if that workes better for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,661 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,550 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 189 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 106 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,033 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 610 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 174 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.