Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: ClimateLine Hose

Sex: Male

RE: Central Apnea
When you have an apnea event (of any type), the Resmed machine generates a pressure pulse modulation and, based on the response to the modulation, determines that your airway is blocked (obstructive apnea) or if it is not blocked (central apnea, clear airway). Basically, obstructive means you are trying to breath but there is a physical interference and central means your are not trying to breath, your brain is not sending the right signals. Of course, some people have both (mixed apnea).

In a full sleep study your brain is wired and you have sensors on your chest to see if you are physically trying to breath or not. The study can truly tell if the apnea event is obstructive or central. The ability of the Resmed machine to truly differentiate between the two apneas if very questionable. It is information, but I would not put too much focus on it.

All that said, an AHI of 1.2 is great! Since you are using the software, I can recommend that you look at the flow graphs at a very detailed time frame (in seconds) to see the magnitude of your apnea events (low to no flow). You'll also see the hypopnea events (50% decrease in average flow but not total loss) and events less than 10 seconds, the criteria the software uses for an "event." This is all good information for the detail oriented among us, but again, an AHI of 1.2 shows your xPAP therapy is efficient and I really wouldn't worry about it.
01-10-2014 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply
Apapuser Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR Systen One 60 series
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 Airfit/Aloha
Humidifier: system one 60 series heated humidifier with heated tube
CPAP Pressure: Auto 6 - 9
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(01-10-2014 08:57 AM)me50 Wrote:  apapuser

you probably didn't see it b/c you stayed up too late playing with Rescan lol

LOL Actually I was in bed by 10:15. As for the central apneas my wife is always saying I forget everything. Hate to tell her I forget to breathe as well
01-10-2014 12:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Apapuser Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

Climateline setting
I have a 5Hi heated humidifier with climateline heated tube. Climate control on clinicians menu is set to patient. Patient menu is set to Auto. Temperature setting set to 82. I do not feel like I am getting enough humidity however and the water level has only gone down a fraction of an inch in two nights of use. Is this normal ? Are there better settings popularly used here ?
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 01:03 PM by Apapuser.)
01-10-2014 01:00 PM
Apapuser Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(01-10-2014 09:54 AM)jdireton Wrote:  When you have an apnea event (of any type), the Resmed machine generates a pressure pulse modulation and, based on the response to the modulation, determines that your airway is blocked (obstructive apnea) or if it is not blocked (central apnea, clear airway). Basically, obstructive means you are trying to breath but there is a physical interference and central means your are not trying to breath, your brain is not sending the right signals. Of course, some people have both (mixed apnea).

In a full sleep study your brain is wired and you have sensors on your chest to see if you are physically trying to breath or not. The study can truly tell if the apnea event is obstructive or central. The ability of the Resmed machine to truly differentiate between the two apneas if very questionable. It is information, but I would not put too much focus on it.

All that said, an AHI of 1.2 is great! Since you are using the software, I can recommend that you look at the flow graphs at a very detailed time frame (in seconds) to see the magnitude of your apnea events (low to no flow). You'll also see the hypopnea events (50% decrease in average flow but not total loss) and events less than 10 seconds, the criteria the software uses for an "event." This is all good information for the detail oriented among us, but again, an AHI of 1.2 shows your xPAP therapy is efficient and I really wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks I was able to just as you suggested And had only 2 centrals the following night. AHI 0.5

As I stated elsewhere I am really liking this Resscan software

Apapuser
01-10-2014 08:50 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Upset about central apnea sleepytimegal 6 266 12-03-2016 11:54 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  ASV/ Central apena - Time for a second opinion? Feisty Folder 6 349 11-21-2016 04:14 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Central Sleep Apnea? wayne99 8 771 11-20-2016 06:39 AM
Last Post: wayne99
Question Any Way To Reduce Central Sleep Apnea without PAP? DeepThought 7 648 09-07-2016 04:47 PM
Last Post: DeepThought
  Low respiration rate triggers central apnea clusters Grandpapa-G 6 530 09-06-2016 10:57 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Clear/Central Apneas, BiPAP, CO2 washout confusion. NorthernGuy 3 495 09-02-2016 09:29 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Central Apneas & ASV Users jerrydaw 11 1,148 08-21-2016 04:15 PM
Last Post: ruach