Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apnea - ADHD
RE: Central Apnea - ADHD
(10-17-2021, 03:13 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: you can also use another location online that has a web address to store your pictures, and then embed the picture or list a link to the web address.  Some have used dropbox, some imgur, and I think there are a few others out there.  maybe google docs, as it allows access to anyone who has the special link.

anyway, some of us who post many many charts or instructive material resort to something like the above, because there is a fairly low limit on amount of space used on the forum site for illustrations.  It makes you delete older ones in order to add newer as required space runs low or out.  I seem to recall I was able to post about 10 screenshots in the allotted space. (that was in place in early 2015, but may have changed since)

Good luck.

QAL

before turning over your machine please remove the water reservoir or empty it of water.
On the bottom of your machine, there is a number like 560 that tells the specific style of REMstar Series One, and would tell us the features of the machine.
The BiPAP-ST machine has a few added features that can stimulate inhales, and can legislate the timing of the inhale and exhale periods. (your charts do not look like you have a big problem with CAs.)

Thank you.  This helps.

Machine says “560P”
Post Reply Post Reply
"the medication has changed something in my brain such that my horrible AHI scores that are always between 10-30, and now 2-10."

as far as I know many/most adhd stimulants work on the central nervous system so it seems logical it might affect central apnea somehow but for better or worse I don't know.

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Stim...Sleep.aspx

a quick internet search produced this article (among many others). it's not scientific and I can't speak to it's credibility but the implication is that stimulants can improve sleep in people with adhd. I have mixed apnea and ADD and used generic adderall and modafinil for many years. it's counterintuitive that stimulants calm hyperactivity, impulsiveness, etc., but they do, and that a stimulant would help sleep. still, I found that my best sleep was for about an hour after taking my morning adderall before it kicked in enough to make it difficult to sleep.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2021, 02:26 PM)sheepless Wrote: "the medication has changed something in my brain such that my horrible AHI scores that are always between 10-30, and now 2-10."

as far as I know many/most adhd stimulants work on the central nervous system so it seems logical it might affect central apnea somehow but for better or worse I don't know.

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Stim...Sleep.aspx

a quick internet search produced this article (among many others). it's not scientific and I can't speak to it's credibility but the implication is that stimulants can improve sleep in people with adhd. I have mixed apnea and ADD and used generic adderall and modafinil for many years. it's counterintuitive that stimulants calm hyperactivity, impulsiveness, etc., but they do, and that a stimulant would help sleep. still, I found that my best sleep was for about an hour after taking my morning adderall before it kicked in enough to make it difficult to sleep.

That is great information.  At this point I’m just looking for any feedback from apnea sufferers who have tried stimulant meds.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to me.  I will look at that article when I get home tonight.

I’m anxious to see if any of the gurus have any chart feedback at all.  It’s a foreign language to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not a chart guru and I don't know PR machines but I've been around here long enough to mostly understand charts. first, these three charts are over 5ahi so it ought to get your doc's attention and they can't legitimately say your treatment is good see me next year. second, I suggest you post a couple 10 minute views of areas flagged as periodic breathing to rule out cheyne stokes respiration (it's not likely to be csr but it's important to be sure). view scale can be adjusted by the slider at the bottom of the daily/events tab in oscar. third, I'm not a PR guy but I think although it looks like your leaks are awful, those shaded areas in your flow rate reflect total leak that includes the designed venting and your leaks are actually not bad. someone that knows PR better can confirm or correct that. forth, the rate of central apnea in the screenshots above isn't sufficient to warrant asv but those chart guru's you're looking for might be able to help you fine tune settings on your current machine for lower ahi.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
hi sheepless. The shaded areas are actually for the "variable breathing" metric, not large leaks.

Robotazky, on my laptop the charts are quite difficult to read. Could you post one with just these graphs:

Events
Flow rate
Pressure
Leaks
Snores.

I don't recall whether you explained why you're using CPAP mode. I think you'd get more out of the machine if you used the auto-adjusting mode and set a pressure range. Maybe 10 to 15? My sneaking suspicion is that you may eventually want to set a higher minimum than 10, and it would help to see what the pressure does if you let it vary upward from 10.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for straightening me out about the shaded areas on PR machines Dormeo!

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for helping me.  Here are two improved screenshots.

I have put the machine on auto a-flex mode from 10-15.

I've noticed that I don't like how the pressure drops off at the end of an inhale, but it's just different so I'll see how it goes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is last night with settings changed to min 10 and max 16.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've never used a Respironics that had Flex, but I've read that others don't like the disruptions and such that flex 3 caused. You may want to drop your setting to 2. Hypopnea are your highest events right now.

How did you feel while using the PAP therapy?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2021, 02:26 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I've never used a Respironics that had Flex, but I've read that others don't like the disruptions and such that flex 3 caused. You may want to drop your setting to 2. Hypopnea are your highest events right now.

How did you feel while using the PAP therapy?

I have been thinking about dropping it to 2.  Thank you for the advice.

While using, I’m so well adjusted I’m fine.  Don’t notice anything negative.  During the day, I don’t know any different than apnea, so hard to say.  I know that’s a terrible answer, but I don’t know different.  I do believe even with my AHI still bad, that I feel better overall.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 588 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,519 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 860 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.