Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apnea - What's normal?
Central Apnea - What's normal?
Just got the results from my initial sleep study. My AHI is mild - 10.2

But I also have a RDI of 51.6. Is that number significant.

I had 3 Obstructive; 73 Hypopneas, 0 Mixed; and 8 Central. 339 RERA's (In 8 hours)

With all the RERA's would UARS enter the picture?

I am interested in the Central Apneas. While it's only 8 - is this something I should look into?

My lowest oxygen saturation 87.0 But on a graph that was labaled Oximetry Trend Graph - its got maximum, mean & minimum Sa02%. Under the minimum graph, it starts out with 76.0. Not sure what that means.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea - What's normal?
Hello and welcome!

I wouldn't worry about it yet. Will you get a machine? Try using it for a month see what CAI you get. My CAI has lowered a lot after using Auto-CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
RERA does not met the definition of an apnea but with so many frequents arousal can wreck your sleep even more than few apneas
Normally RDI associated with excessive daytime sleepiness

Flow Limitation/UARS and BiPAP
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-and-BiPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there some kind of measurement of Central Apnea like Obstructive Apnea? 5-15 mild, etc.

Also RDI - what index number would be severe?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jshu43,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2013, 09:28 AM)jshu43 Wrote: Is there some kind of measurement of Central Apnea like Obstructive Apnea? 5-15 mild, etc.

The AHI index includes both obstructive and central apneas. There is no separate index classification.

The RDI category ranges are the same with AHI; 5-15, 15-30, 30+.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2013, 09:28 AM)jshu43 Wrote: Is there some kind of measurement of Central Apnea like Obstructive Apnea? 5-15 mild, etc.

There is no separate measurement of central apnea, AHI includes all types of apnea events (not RERA)
Apnea hypopnea index (AHI)
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=AHI

Respiratory disturbance index (RDI)
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=RDI

RDI = (RERAs + Hypopneas + apneas) / TST (in hours). That is, RDI means the average number of episodes of apnea, hypopnea, and respiratory event-related arousal per hour of sleep. (TST is "total sleep time".)
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2013, 01:08 AM)jshu43 Wrote: Just got the results from my initial sleep study. My AHI is mild - 10.2

But I also have a RDI of 51.6. Is that number significant.

Yes, your large RDI of 51.6 is very significant. It is "severe".

The optimal machine for you would likely be a bi-level Auto machine like the Philips Respironics System One BiPAP Auto Bi-Flex with Heated Tube humidifier (if in USA this is called model DS760TS). Or the ResMed S9 VPAP Auto.

Again reposting the link given in Zonk's post to the excellent article by Dr Krakow:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-and-BiPAP

The number of centrals you had were small and probably nothing to worry about. Especially so, if the centrals lasted a short time, like under 30 seconds each, or occured when you were not fully asleep. Having some centrals while falling asleep is considered normal and these may have been (but maybe should not have been) included in the AHI and RDI.

Unlike obstructive apneas, as soon as you try to breathe a central apnea ends.

However, if you start having more or longer centrals, or are taking pain medications such as opiates, an Adaptive Servo Ventilator (ASV) class machine may become optimal for you.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the asv is the only thing that helps my centrals and klonopin. is there any chance losing weight would reduce centrals?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2013, 06:12 AM)physicsstudent13 Wrote: I think the asv is the only thing that helps my centrals and klonopin. is there any chance losing weight would reduce centrals?

We're not qualified to give advice on drugs. You should see your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,666 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,566 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 200 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 116 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,057 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 627 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 178 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.