Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apnea While Awake
Central Apnea While Awake
While fully awake, I sometimes find myself breathing very shallow or holding my breath for several seconds with no obstruction present. Afterward, I breathe deeply for a breath or two and then get back to a normal breathing pattern. This pattern repeats often during a day. I have been doing this for many years without knowing what to label it. Since I've been using CPAP, I've noticed such a pattern on the Sleepyhead graphs, so it looks like I also have this same pattern while I'm asleep. My AHI is typically less than 4 with centrals usually comprising the majority of events.

It fits the definition of central apnea, and I don't think there's a remedy for it. So now I'm now curious whether other CPAP users also experience this breathing pattern while awake.

There's some evidence to suggest that anxiety may cause such a wakeful central apnea pattern, but I don't find enough evidence to conclude that's the cause. Comments welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea While Awake
(08-06-2015, 12:37 AM)Jim Bronson Wrote: While fully awake, I sometimes find myself breathing very shallow or holding my breath for several seconds with no obstruction present. Afterward, I breathe deeply for a breath or two and then get back to a normal breathing pattern. This pattern repeats often during a day. I have been doing this for many years without knowing what to label it. Since I've been using CPAP, I've noticed such a pattern on the Sleepyhead graphs, so it looks like I also have this same pattern while I'm asleep.

Hi Jim

For many years I have occasionally found while awake that I haven't been breathing and consciously take some catch-up breaths.

Before I received an ASV machine I used an Auto bilevel machine (S9 VPAP Auto). My AHI was occasionally above 5, usually from Periodic Breathing (CSR-like pattern) plus a few isolated cental apneas.

I feel better when I use the ASV machine (compared to the bilevel Auto), but it took a little getting used to ASV therapy, since the machine quickly raises the inhalation pressure (IPAP) whenever my fail to adequately breathe.

Auto ASV therapy works by slowly varying the exhalation pressure (EPAP) much like an AutoSet slowly varies the pressure to prevent/minimize obstructive apneas. In addition, ASV therapy will quickly vary the amount the pressure is boosted during inhalation. Within a few seconds the amount of pressure boost during inhalation (which is called Pressure Support) might be raised to 10 or more (for example if EPAP is 10 then IPAP might quickly rise to 20 or higher). This large difference between EPAP and IPAP does for us all the work of breathing, until we again start breathing on our own.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
i experience the same thing. after my initial sleep study but before my titration it caused me to go to the ER, have dozens of tests and ultimately see a pulminologist. i got half a dozen different diagnosis (heart attack, emphysema, pulmonary hypertension, etc)before i ever got my VPAP. it seems to me most doctors aren't even aware of this.

i found this and it helped me understand a little better, they also mention a Breathing Pacemaker. i didn't even know about those before reading this.

http://www.averybiomedical.com/central-s...nea-awake/

::edit::
after first reading this i started thinking back to when i first started noticing problems with my sleep and breathing.
i came up with.... shortly after i had a major electrical shock at work...18,000 volts, 60 amps. it actually burned holes in my shoes and my legs burned from the knees down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I'm a Newbie with exactly what you're describing. I have just looked at my CPAP results using Sleepyhead (thanks so much) and it shows the same at night as well. I've only been on a CPAP machine for 10 days and things are settling down nicely with a Resmed S9 Auto. Majority of mine are Central Apnoeas. I am also asthmatic, have been for over 25 years and take seretide 250 2 puffs twice a day. I also have hayfever, allergies etc. Hospital are talking about doing another Alice sleep test soon to check things out. Feeling less exhausted than I was, the original sleeplessness was blamed as nocturnal asthma for the last five years, I was waking up around the times that my data shows my CA's every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 06:39 AM)Rob S Wrote: after first reading this i started thinking back to when i first started noticing problems with my sleep and breathing.
i came up with.... shortly after i had a major electrical shock at work...18,000 volts, 60 amps. it actually burned holes in my shoes and my legs burned from the knees down.

To calculate the heating power (wattage) one multiplies the electric pressure (voltage) times the electric current (amperage).

18,000 Volts times 60 Amps would have been 1,080,000 Watts. You are extremely lucky you survived that, even for a fraction of a second.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's call this "wake apnea" even though doctors would never use that term.

"Wake apnea" if it exists, is so different than "sleep apnea" that the treatment for or knowledge about sleep apnea probably won't be of much help.

You might get some useful information here, but you're sort of asking in the wrong place.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 10:29 AM)archangle Wrote: "Wake apnea" if it exists, is so different than "sleep apnea" that the treatment for or knowledge about sleep apnea probably won't be of much help.

You might get some useful information here, but you're sort of asking in the wrong place.

Are you kidding? This is an apnea board, not specifically a sleep apnea board, and in my opinion this board is the ideal place to discuss all forms of apnea. Personally I believe the possible connections between sleep apnea and the other kind (variously called daytime apnea, awake apnea, waking apnea, etc.) are in urgent need of discussion, especially in light of of my recent experiences, about which I will post soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't know there was such a thing as wake apnea, but I do find myself occasional not breathing while wide awake. I will sometimes be sitting at my computer at work or with my wife somewhere and notice it. My wife notices sometimes and asks if im holding my breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
I seem to recall reading here that breathing is controlled by a different part of the brain when you are awake. Could be wrong. I don't have the time to do a search since I'm heading out the door in a few.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 09:58 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 06:39 AM)Rob S Wrote: after first reading this i started thinking back to when i first started noticing problems with my sleep and breathing.

To calculate the heating power (wattage) one multiplies the electric pressure (voltage) times the electric current (amperage).

18,000 Volts times 60 Amps would have been 1,080,000 Watts. You are extremely lucky you survived that, even for a fraction of a second.

i know how lucky i am, lucky i leaned into the machine with my knee's making contact first. i also now believe it could have damaged my brain stem causing my central apnea problems.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,673 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,578 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 141 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 219 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 126 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,090 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 641 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.