Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apnea after bike crash
Central Apnea after bike crash
            In May I had a cycling accident that resulted in a shattered helmet and broken clavicle.  I was doing about 23 mph and went over the handlebars landing on my head.   When I went to the ER they did a head CT and it came back clear.  My ability to focus on tasks has been impacted as has my vision (had to increase font size on my phone).  I mentioned this to my primary care doctor and he just says 'concussions can take a long time to resolve'.  I haven't been very good at using my BiPAP, but I am noticing since May my CAs are way high (up to 190/night).  I don't want to jump to conclusions, but could there be a link between hurting my head and the sudden jump in Clear Airway events?  I see my primary doctor next week - I was going to ask to do a sleep study since it has been about 8 years since I've had one.  Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea after bike crash
Hi brownerd!  -   Welcome
Closed head wounds are very common in an injury like you describe.  They may not become apparent until sometime after the injury has occurred.   How often have your observation visits been?  I definitely would bring this up during your upcoming visit.  

Back to your charts, your PS is very high in most cases and can be causing a CO2 washout, which can trigger the CAs.  CO2 tells the brain to breathe.  Also, your Flow Limitation is reporting 0.00 at that level.  Have you tried reducing your PS to see if this will reduce the CAs?  For a test, set it to 4.0 and see how you react.

Also, when presenting a screenshot here, it is best to have the "Details" tab selected on the left side of the Daily screen and the calendar minimized.  This will provide us with the important information contained below it.  If you go to the OSCAR menu View > Reset Graphs > Advanced, it will really help in providing the most important graphs first.  Please use the F12 key to capture a screenshot.  This will take care of minimizing the calendar too.  

Please review the links in my signature to help in achieving these tasks and understanding OSCAR.

Now to the import question, how is the bike?  Big Grin

I wish you the best.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea after bike crash
Thank you for the info, I will make the adjustment to my settings tonight.  Also thank you for the screen capture tips!

As for the bike, it was totaled - it was an old tri bike made by a company no longer around.  The rear wheel shattered (carbon) and somehow the aluminum frame bent.  Now I have a new bike and LOVE it
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,663 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,551 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 192 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 109 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,040 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 615 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 178 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.