Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apnea on CPAP
Central Apnea on CPAP
Hi everyone...so I need some help (like everyone else I'm sure)...So I have been a regular user/daily of CPAP for about 14 months now due to a diagnosis of Moderate Sleep Apnea.  Since utilizing nightly CPAP, my AHI has been relatively good ranging from 0.8 to 3.  Initially, I started with a Dreamwear facial mask (full face) that sits under the nose and covers the mouth). It was fine for awhile, because I was a mouth breather, and it seemed to work. However, in time, as I am a restless sleeper, with some insomnia, and shift side to side, it became a nuisance. So, I utilized the chin strap and moved on to the Dreamwear Nasal Prongs (which I use to this day). I eventually weened off needing the chin strap, and functionally it has been great.  However, having lived at ranges from from those stated previously, I noticed lately (last month or so), my AHI was slightly ever increasing (3.7, 4.2, etc) which I never had initially. I would look at my log, and it would show, for example, 2 hypo, 2 Obstructive, and 22 Central apneas.  By the way, this is at pressure of 8.5 and a Flex of 2 on the Dream Station, which seemed to work over time, with my 90% pressure averaging around 9.3, with a Flex of 2.  So I began playing with the pressures, but then it became erratic.  I then scheduled a re-titration study to determine how I was doing overall at the Sleep Lab.  It came back, utilizing the same mask, with only having 1 obstructive and 2 Central apneas at a pressure of 7.  The first night I returned, placing pressure on 7, AHI was high.  Went back to 8.5.  Long story I know, but, why am I getting so many centrals, and is there something the board would recommend?  I really appreciate any help after that long winded explanationSmile 
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea on CPAP
If you would add an OSCAR chart in standard view and the copy of the sleep study in detailed redacted form it would give us some more data to go on. It would help especially so since we're dealing with CA. We can try to help you AVOID these on CPAP. The only machine that effectively treats CA is the ASV. Due to your many months of PAP use, these CA aren't likely to be treatment emergent.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sure will! Thanks for your help. I can get an OSCAR copy and Sleep Study placed in here tonight for review.  Thanks again.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
OK copy. We can check the info then. Meantime a great day to ya.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,662 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,550 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 191 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 106 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,034 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 611 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 176 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.