Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apnea or Not?
RE: Central Apnea or Not?
I can't master the tongue suck technique, but a soft cervical collar helps keep my lip leaks to a minimum with my nasal pillow mask. I don't love it but I can't pap without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 07:22 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: The mask type is all up to you, but if air is escaping from an open mouth-palate channel, you could try a full face mask or add the accessories and keep practicing the tongue trick.

FYI I have tried to transition from full face ResMed F20 to N30i which is a nasal mask. I'm still trying to get used to the nasal. Both are excellent masks BTW.

Also yes there's tongue reduction surgeries out there. I know very little about the how and why for medical necessity. I know it doesn't involve it, but I envision slicing deli ham.

After yesterday's experience, which was one of the worst, I'm absolutely certain that air is escaping through my mouth.  The first half, I had very disturbing dreams, but the dreams were all the same dream.  I'd wake up from a dream and be shaking my head saying "no, no, this can't be real, it didn't happen".  I noticed air was coming through my mouth, and my mouth was so dry it elements were sticking together.  When I'd wake up, I'd just barely be conscious, and when I'd go back to sleep, the dream would either start all over, replaying everything again, or continue at the end of the furthest part.  every single time I woke up with air coming through my mouth and with a very very dry mouth.  And, I always woke up at the worst part, where I was being cut up or strangled or shot to death.   

The dream was so disturbing that I haven't been able to stop thinking about it today.  The last time I woke up, I woke up feeling like I was highly drugged, it reminded me of all those years before CPAP.  It took 45 minutes to recover after waking up, so I used that time to switch my mask to the ResMed Amara full mask that came with my machine.  When I went back to sleep, I slept a full day with no dry mouth, bad dreams or being woke up. 

I don't know if it matters, but before I went to sleep the first time, I was having trouble breathing through my nose.  It was largely stopped up, and and I was struggling to breathing.  I'm not an expert, but it seems logical that I would have been opening my mouth to breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me months to get the tongue technique down. Many have success with a soft cervical collar. And there always is the FFM
Post Reply Post Reply
You may be in the group that needs a full face mask to ensure proper CPAP therapy. It sounds like using the Amara View full face mask changed things immediately for the good.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 596 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,522 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,404 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 860 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 270 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.