Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apnea or Not?
Central Apnea or Not?
The only test I could afford was a $180 home sleep test using the Philips Alice NightOne device, and it showed an AHI of 18.7 with a prescription of 4 - 20 pressure range for an APAP machine.  I received an ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for $100 as I couldn't afford the price of a new one and I'm looking to understand the charts from ResScan.  Also, I don't have a sleep doctor thus I have no one to talk about this with. 

Is there anything that can cause a false Central Apnea event, like a mask leak?  Can you have Central events some days and not others?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea or Not?
Centrals are often caused by holding your breath whilst rolling over. Your number of events over the night are not enough to worry about. I suggest you download OSCAR there is a link in my signature. It’s easier to use than rescan and the graphs are easier to see what’s going on
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2019, 12:40 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Centrals are often caused by holding your breath whilst rolling over. Your number of events over the night are not enough to worry about. I suggest you download OSCAR there is a link in my signature. It’s easier to use than rescan and the graphs are easier to see what’s going on

Thanks for the reply jaswilliams, I'm going to try OSCAR out now.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day xXZexxMooreXx. Welcome to Apnea board.

While a few centrals might be caused by rolling over I doubt that's the case when there are 8 or 9 clustered together as you have on 15/10/2019. First we need to know what the sleep report showed - can you post a copy please? Make sure you erase anything you don't want to share with the public, but make sure you include the charts and tables. Its important to know what the mix of apneas and hypopneas was before treatment.

A lot of people get "treatment emergent" central apnea, as the therapy changes the CO2 concentration in the blood, causing the brain to "forget" to initiate a breath. (That's a crude simplification but it will do for now). In the majority of cases the emergent apnea will fix itself over a period of weeks. In a few cases it is particularly stubborn and needs special attention but I don't expect that will be a problem here.

I agree with jaswilliams that OSCAR is a far more useful program than ResScan for looking at your data - it's easier to use and presents the information in a more coherent format.

Edit: I should also mention that a pressure range of 4 - 20 is not really a prescription - it's how the machine comes from the factory. Most people do a lot better on a narrower pressure range, especially raising the minimum a few cm to aid inhalation.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the others; let's see what OSCAR shows along with that sleep study info. Then we can work on making therapy the best possible for your success which will include narrowing the pressure settings to something specific for your needs. And, welcome to the Apnea Board.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A very notable feature of your Resscan charts is Flow Limitation. It is persistent through the night and is driving your pressure changes. I think you need to abandon your default settings of 4-20 and consider a minimum pressure of 8.0 and turn on your EPR (exhale pressure relief) full time to a setting of 3. While EPR sometimes will increase CA events, it will reduce the flow limitations and should feel comfortable. I look forward to seeing your OSCAR charts in the near future.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2019, 01:57 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day xXZexxMooreXx. Welcome to Apnea board.

While a few centrals might be caused by rolling over I doubt that's the case when there are 8 or 9 clustered together as you have on 15/10/2019. First we need to know what the sleep report showed - can you post a copy please? Make sure you erase anything you don't want to share with the public, but make sure you include the charts and tables. Its important to know what the mix of apneas and hypopneas was before treatment.

A lot of people get "treatment emergent" central apnea, as the therapy changes the CO2 concentration in the blood, causing the brain to "forget" to initiate a breath. (That's a crude simplification but it will do for now). In the majority of cases the emergent apnea will fix itself over a period of weeks. In a few cases it is particularly stubborn and needs special attention but I don't expect that will be a problem here.

I agree with jaswilliams that OSCAR[url=https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR][/url] is a far more useful program than ResScan for looking at your data - it's easier to use and presents the information in a more coherent format.

Edit: I should also mention that a pressure range of 4 - 20 is not really a prescription - it's how the machine comes from the factory. Most people do a lot better on a narrower pressure range, especially raising the minimum a few cm to aid inhalation.

I sent an email requesting my sleep data and will post when I receive it.  I'll run my data through OSCAR as well.

(10-17-2019, 08:28 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I agree with the others; let's see what OSCAR shows along with that sleep study info. Then we can work on making therapy the best possible for your success which will include narrowing the pressure settings to something specific for your needs. And, welcome to the Apnea Board.

Thanks Dave!  I never new my prescription wasn't even a prescription at all, nor that you could change it.  And even if I did, I would have never expected help optimizing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2019, 08:38 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: A very notable feature of your Resscan charts is Flow Limitation.  It is persistent through the night and is driving your pressure changes.  I think you need to abandon your default settings of 4-20 and consider a minimum pressure of 8.0 and turn on your EPR (exhale pressure relief) full time to a setting of 3.  While EPR sometimes will increase CA events, it will reduce the flow limitations and should feel comfortable. I look forward to seeing your OSCAR charts in the near future.

I had no idea mine were just default.  I was never told that by the sleep people.   You guys are really showing me things I never knew about.  Also, I'll upload the OSCAR charts soon.  Thanks for all of you by the way.
Post Reply Post Reply
May I ask if my previous experiences may or may not have been from sleep apnea? I've had some weird things happen that led me to going out on my own to get a home sleep study test and I'm really curious if it could potentially all be related.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe I'm missing some part involving what you're asking, if so I'm sorry. Can you elaborate a bit on previous experiences and/or weird things that happened? Is this maybe odd things happening during sleep or sleep attempts?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 604 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,527 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,407 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 618 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.