Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apnea, switched from BiPAP to CPAP?
Central Apnea, switched from BiPAP to CPAP?
I was diagnosed with CA about 2 1/2 years ago, and prescribed bipap treatment. After a couple of weeks things got very comfortable and I my AHI was consistently below 1.0. Then a few months ago my relationship with my machine went sour, and I couldn't understand why (http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-the-rails).

I finally had another sleep study, and it went surprisingly well. At my follow up appointment, I learned that I had slept 6 hours, had 4 separate REM cycles, with zero events. Wow! Perfect score! Then, my doctor told me that what worked so nicely was CPAP at a pressure of 6.0. I was expecting to hear ASV, not this.

My machine was set to this configuration about 2 weeks ago. I've been trying to give this configuration a fair chance, but I am still frequently having the sensation that there is too much pressure for comfortable exhalation. I have essentially perfected a breathing pattern of in through my nose, out either by nose or mouth. This seems wrong but defensible. My results have been erratic, but my average for the past week is below 2.0 (helped by a 0 I posted last night) - higher than it was during my "honeymoon period" but still considered "treated".

In my first sleep study, CPAP made things worse. What could have changed to make it the preferred solution now? Can anyone help me understand what is going on here?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea, switched from BiPAP to CPAP?
That doesn’t sound right, but I mean, it’s possible of course. You could just not have had any CA at the time of the test. But fwiw I’d probably consider another test.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea, switched from BiPAP to CPAP?
In your last thread, your settings were 9/3 and all apnea wewe being detected as OA.  At that time the consensus advice on the forum was higher EPAP and less PS.  That is exactly what CPAP at 6.0 represents.  I think we would have found a similar result if you had implemented our suggestions.  For central apnea, CPAP pressure generally works best, and if that fails, then the move to bilevel without a backup rate is generally worse.

I predict that CPAP will result in a lower AHI than bilevel, but if the central apnea diagnosis is correct, then results may be inconsistent in the long run.  Whether the event rate or sleep disruption end up at a level that justifies ASV remains to be seen, but doesn't look likely at this point as you actually had reasonably good results, even when your settings were extremely adverse for CA like in this chart.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8294]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,660 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,549 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 183 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 106 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 216 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,032 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 609 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.