Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apnea
Central Apnea
What's a good central apnea number? Mine has been ranging from 0.1 to 0.4. Is this something I need to be concerned with?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea
No, you do not need to be concerned with that number of central apneas. You are not even having one an hour or even one every night probably. There is no good central apnea number. We all probably have some during certain stages of the sleep cycle or different things like yawning can be mistaken for a central apnea. You have realy good CA numbers, so really, please don't worry. If you like mention it to your sleep doc the next time you go, but I don't think this warrants an appointment by itself. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2012, 07:19 AM)projman65 Wrote: What's a good central apnea number? Mine has been ranging from 0.1 to 0.4. Is this something I need to be concerned with?

What's your AHI? Your OA?

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2012, 08:36 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(04-22-2012, 07:19 AM)projman65 Wrote: What's a good central apnea number? Mine has been ranging from 0.1 to 0.4. Is this something I need to be concerned with?

What's your AHI? Your OA?

Here are my average numbers from ResScan for the last 7 days:

Apnea Index: 2.9
Obstructive: 2.7
Central 0.1
Unknown 0.0

Hypopnea Index: 0.8
AHI: 3.7
Post Reply Post Reply
Those are freakin' fantastic numbers. You want the AHI to be less than 5.

Those numbers are averages. Meaning the software takes the number of events over the entire night and divides it by the number of hours you slept. So if you slept 8 and have an AHI of 3.7, that would be 29.6 events the entire night! Which is great!

AHI is the number of apneas (central and obstructive) plus the number of hyopopneas (where your breathing was very shallow) divided by the number of hours slept.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2012, 09:25 AM)projman65 Wrote: Here are my average numbers from ResScan for the last 7 days:

Apnea Index: 2.9
Obstructive: 2.7
Central 0.1
Unknown 0.0

Hypopnea Index: 0.8
AHI: 3.7

Many people would be ecstatic to have a AHI that low. Things are looking good and the CA index of 0.1 is nothing to be concerned about at all.

The reason I asked about your other numbers is because often when people raise their pressure to lower their OA index, it makes their CA index rise.

Now, you need not be concerned about your AHI since it's below 5. And I doubt any doctor would even consider adjusting your pressure because of that, I know mine wouldn't.

On the other hand, if you are thinking of trying to lower it further, we'd need to see the data for a longer period of time than just one week. What are the numbers for the last month? On how many of the last 30 days did your AHI rise above 5? How much time does your autoset keep the pressure near the upper end of your pressure range?

I was able to convince my doctor to adjust my pressure, even though my AHI averaged less than 5, because there was about one day in ten where it rose above 5. He tweaked the pressure a bit and now my AHI averages about 2, and never goes above 5. Lately it's been dominated by hypopneas, but they last for just a bit longer than 10 seconds. I'm still waking up several times throughout the night, but I'm starting a more rigorous exercise regime in the hopes I can make an improvement there.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, my numbers have been good. AHI consistently under 5. No complaints there. My leak numbers have been decent as well (around 10).
However, I've only been on this new machine for about a week or so. I'll give it a couple more weeks before I make any conclusions. The number I'm watching the most is my 95% pressure. It's been consistent at 15.8 (machine set at 10-16 range). So it's been on the high side every night.

My plan is to give my body another 2 weeks of getting used to the new settings before considering making any tweaking. Before switching to the S9 Autoset I was on a basic CPAP (Pressure 11) for 4 years.

I will keep updating my progress.

Thanks for all the input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, well, yeah, a week is not long enough. But it is looking good so far. You may end up bumping that upper number a notch or two.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2012, 04:20 PM)projman65 Wrote: I will keep updating my progress.

Thanks for all the input.

You're welcome. Please let us know how things are looking after a month or so. It's really way to early to draw any conclusions. Your body is adjusting to the new higher pressure, and it's likely your AHI will change significantly in the next couple of weeks.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 565 2 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 268 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.