Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apneas
Central Apneas
I have an AHI average for the last 12 months of 2.4. This is mainly made up of centrals. I only have about 1 obstructive about ever 2 weeks and about 2 to 4 hypopneas every night. Some of my centrals I know are of the junk variety upon going to sleep and upon awakening. However alot of my centrals are like the type shown on my attachment. Are these real centrals or are they just arousels caused by rolling over or from leg movements ? Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this subject.[attachment=2705]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apneas
There's a difference between arousals (waking up) and centrals (not breathing). From the single shot you offer, this looks like not breathing. Unless you normally hold your breath for 15plus seconds whenever you jerk a leg or roll over, then it is a central event.

But the good news is there's not much to be worried about. The CI is below 5.

What I suggest is looking at your 95% and maximum reached pressure over several weeks span. If it is typical of the night in your attachment, you may want to lower your maximum treatment pressure. For example, you have it set to 6 to 15. For the night shown, you didn't reach 12. If that is your norm, I would suggest lowering the maximum to, say, 13 and let it run for a few weeks. It is highly possible the CAs decrease in count.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks PaulaO2 for your advice. I will set the max pressure to 13 and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula has some good advice for you. Your machine could be causing some hyperventilation which in turn which in turn causes the Centrals. Lower pressure could be helpful.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't set it to 13 unless your data shows you rarely if ever reach 12 or 12.5. If you need to go higher but the machine is set too low, then your OA events will increase.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaO2, I checked my data for the past year and found that for the first half of the year my maximum pressure was in the 12 to 13 range most of the time. It even hit 15 on one occasion . However after I changed my pressure support from 3 to 2 my maximum pressure for the last 3 months was 11.3 and my 95% was 10.3. I guess my higher pressure support must have had something to do with the higher IPAP for the first part of the year.
What do you think,should I go ahead and try 13 IPAP ?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 569 3 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 306 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.