Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apneas
Central Apneas
Hello,

It's been a few months since my last post. I've managed to resolve some of the issues related to mask and positional apneas. What drives my AHI up are now CAs. I am currently on Pressure of 10 (gives me lots of air in my stomach), and tried EPR of 1. Here's my last night's report:

I guess the only option I would have is to get an ASV machine?

I tried lowering pressure to 9, turning off EPR and couldn't manage to use the cpap that night and lots of OAs
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apneas
Let's see what is going on.
Click on the triangle "V" between the Month and year to minimize the calendar.
Post a couple of 10 minute views of your centrals.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2022, 02:13 PM)Gideon Wrote: Let's see what is going on.
Click on the triangle "V" between the Month and year to minimize the calendar.
Post a couple of 10 minute views of your centrals.

Here are some screenshots:

Post Reply Post Reply
We have seen many members with similar events to yours, benefit from ASV. It is a very difficult matter to get one dispensed through your doctor and insurance. The question is, are you willing to spend $500 to $1200 for a used ASV to find out, or would you rather run the gauntlet of doctors and insurance?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While I don't disagree with SleepRider, and an ASV may very well be in your future, let's try reducing EPR first.
Set EPR = 1, no other changes, and then review. Possibly turn EPR off next then review.
Lowering EPR will tend to increase Obstructive events including your flow limits, and reduce Central events, thus taking it slow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Central versus Obstructive teeter-totter dilemma.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
spend $500 to $1200 for a used ASV

I guess it depends where you are looking. When I was checking some of the suppliers on the supplier list, I was seeing used ASVs at around the $2000 mark or more. Sad

Sorry you're having to find this fine balance between centrals and obstructives.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello!

A little update, so I went to my first appointment with my new insurance, a have a new therapist (I still haven't seen a doctor, I guess that's their process, gotta love insurances!). Well, he said my CAs could be triggered by my high pressure as my sleep study did no register any CAs when my pressure was 4-6, it started to register one, only one CA when I went to 8.

So per his recommendation, I set the pressure Auto from 4-6 and gave it three days to try with a new mask (not a full face mask, this time is a nasal pillow that it's really comfortable to my surprise with low leaks since I thought I was a mouth breather). One of those days was with EPR of 1 and didn't have a good sleep when I set it to one.

I am still scoring many many CAs. And I think that OA and Hypo-apneas went up too with those new settings ;(. I don't think I am going to get an ASV anytime soon via insurance... 

Post Reply Post Reply
If you're getting this level of CA while the PAP is idling along, nah it's not going to cut it if you ask me. But I think your tactic should be you don't feel better for the therapy, etc. Since this therapist won't likely be interested in your OSCAR charts or comments you may pick up here that CA are looking Trainwreck terrible, just stick with your personal symptom and complaint list. Make that list. IF you want to pursue ASV, you have no good comments about this current therapy. I'm not saying to falsify things, but only mention negatives.

You may be forced to use BPAP next. Prepare yourself to fight, because next is TERRIBLE. After that is ST, and now it's TERRIBLE TIMES 20. And I would refuse that one. Pass ST, Go to ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Dave says.

I'm currently having to play the "how it feels rather than what the numbers say" game with my (temporary) doctor and it's infuriating... but nope, it's nothing to do with your pressure, not with those numbers on basically nothing. You clearly need something else.

Tell him all the negatives, as Dave said. Headaches? Blurry vision? Confusion? Difficulty waking up? Falling asleep whenever you sit down even if you have to concentrate? Memory issues etc? anything you can think of.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 566 3 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 268 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 306 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.